Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Mirena IUD over 5 years
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mirena IUD over 5 years

Hi, I have the IUD Mirena. I am fast approaching the 5 year anniversary (April 2012) and know it needs to be removed. Here's the problem. I no longer have health insurance. I am curious if there are complications or side effects if I leave it in longer. I am eligible for insurance with my place of work in November 2012, so it would be another 6 months minimum. Another option I have looked in to is self removal. However much of what I have read on that is from women who have had it placed for a short time, i.e. not the full 5 years. Could someone please tell me any problems or side effects from either leaving it in for longer or possibly removing it myself...Thank you!
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Please do not remove the IUD yourself and get it removed from your doctor. Although efficacy of the IUD decreases after continuously keeping it for such a time, it may cause pelvic inflammatory disorder, amenorrhea, irregular bleeding, weight gain and sometimes unwanted pregnancy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Birth Control (Contraception) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...