Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Mirena IUD over 5 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Mirena IUD over 5 years

Hi, I have the IUD Mirena. I am fast approaching the 5 year anniversary (April 2012) and know it needs to be removed. Here's the problem. I no longer have health insurance. I am curious if there are complications or side effects if I leave it in longer. I am eligible for insurance with my place of work in November 2012, so it would be another 6 months minimum. Another option I have looked in to is self removal. However much of what I have read on that is from women who have had it placed for a short time, i.e. not the full 5 years. Could someone please tell me any problems or side effects from either leaving it in for longer or possibly removing it myself...Thank you!
  • iud removed (2 replies):
    im 21 years old and i have the iud and i been having rea...[more]
  • Mirena IUD (2 replies):
    I had my mirena iud removed last friday (Jan 13th 2012) ...[more]
  • iud removed (2 replies):
    i had my iud removed friday last week my dr did not tell...[more]
  • iud birth control (1 replies):
    can a home pregnancy test show up accurate with the iud ...[more]
  • about IUD (1 replies):
    I removed my copper iud after having it for 9 months had...[more]
Please do not remove the IUD yourself and get it removed from your doctor. Although efficacy of the IUD decreases after continuously keeping it for such a time, it may cause pelvic inflammatory disorder, amenorrhea, irregular bleeding, weight gain and sometimes unwanted pregnancy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.