Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Mirena... Side Effects? Pregnancy?

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Mirena... Side Effects? Pregnancy?

I got the Mirena IUD in April of 2012. My last period was in July and I rarely spot or have discharge. Over the last week or so, I have experienced increased urination, lower abdominal cramps, frequent hunger, breast tenderness (especially nipples), fatigue and a white, odorless discharge. Now, and for the last three days, I have pink/red/brown discharge one or twice a day. I checked to see if I could feel my strings about a month ago and I couldn't find them. I checked again yesterday and found them immediately. Has the IUD moved? Are these just side effects? I took a HPT and it was negative but I wouldn't even know if I am "late" or not. Could I be pregnant? Any help would be appreciated!
Hi!
IF you were my patient, I would advise you that you are probably NOT pregnant.  I would have been more concerned if you had not done the hpt.
That you can feel the strings is definitely a good sign.  Your uterus is mobile, and it is easier to feel your cervix sometimes than others, so that part is not too concerning to me.  Most of your symptoms can be attributed to the Mirena, so I think you can relax.  That is one downside to this form of birth control.  Many women rely on the monthy period to let them know!
Good luck!
Dr B