BIRTH CONTROL (CONTRACEPTION)
COMMUNITY
Not sure how to know I'm pregnant because I am on Depo
by meagsheat, Jul 30, 2005
I have been on depo provera for some time now. I recently had unprotected sex. I am worried about the possibility of pregnancy. But with the depo I no longer have my periods so I don't know when would be the best time to take a pregnancy test if I feel I may be pregnant. Can someone give me advice? Thanks
Member Comments (16)
by kimmie_n_angus, Jul 31, 2005
i was depo for 7 yrs...been off for 18 mos and still CANNOT get pg. this stuff really shuts down the plumbing. i did get pg on depo back in 1993 after my 1st shot and m/c cuz the depo killed my babies (twin girls). i had another friend of mine get pg on her first shot of depo and have a boy.

so if this in not your 1st or 2nd shot, i would assume you have nothing to worry about as far as pregnancy is concerned. but i would think twice about staying on it if u ever want kids....this stuff really messes with ones reproduction. if you r truely scared u might be pg on depo, see your dr immediately if you want to keep this pregnancy....you might have to take provera to reverse it and not m/c. depo is extremely dangerous to a growing baby......i know, i have lived it.

good luck and you r in my thoughts....kimmie
by Christie2004, Jul 31, 2005
If you have been on Depo and have not missed any shots, you shouldn't have concerns about pregnancy beyond the small risk associated with any form of birth control.

So I guess I'm confused as to why you would be worried.  If you went off Depo and havent got your period back yet, take a test about 2-3 weeks after unprotected sex.  There may be enough HCG in your system to be detected by then.

But if you're on Depo and havent missed any, it is very unlikely you would be pregnant.
by Christie2004, Jul 31, 2005
Here is an excellent article on Depo-Provera:

http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm

Lots of links and resources towards the end.

Kimmie--there is no way to "reverse" Depo-Provera, unfortunately.  Women who do conceive on it may be more likely to deliver prematurely.  Depo-Provera is a long acting form of medroxyprogesterone, which IS the generic name for Provera.  So taking Provera won't reverse Depo-Provera.
by kimmie_n_angus, Jul 31, 2005
i do know there is no way to reverse it....i am living its rath now....i stated it wrong....sorry. taking progesterone for my friend halped to carry her pregnancy till 32 weeks because the depo had an adverse effect on her. she did deliver 1 week early and had a low-birth weight baby....but i was so glad to see him healthy. especially after losing my babies on the drug.

i am sorry if i cause any confusion.....depo is a very touchy subject with me because i have seen so many women suffer its side effects during, after or both.....sometimes i get too emotional. plus i am gettin ready for af i think....or pg....i feel hormonal....LOL!

kimmie
by Butterfly_Baybee2005, Aug 09, 2005
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
by CASSITYSMOMMY04, Aug 25, 2007
I HAVE BEEN OFF THE DEPO FOR TWO YEARS THIS MONTH. I WANT TO HAVE A BABY SO BAD, BUT I CANT SEEM TO GET PREGNANT. IT TOOK ME NINE MONTHS AFTER I GOT OFF THE SHOT TO HAVE MY FIRST PERIOD, AND I HAVE A FRIEND THAT WAS GOING TO TAKE THE SHOT, BUT HER DOCTOR TOLD HER IF SHE EVER WANTED KIDS AGAIN TO JUST TAKE THE PILL, BUT I WAS NEVER TOLD WHEN I GOT ON THE SHOT THAT I MAY NEVER HAVE KIDS AGAIN, AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
by sallystar, Aug 25, 2007
although there are lots of horror stories out there - there is hope.  i was on depo for 3 yrs...I stopped taking depo b/c i got engaged and my fiance and i were talking about having children and i'd heard the horror stories about women not being able to get pregnant for years after depo.  I went on the pill - which i am pretty bad at (can never remember - hence the reason for depo to begin with)...and ended up getting pregnant 10 months later.  I'm now 37w 3d with a healthy little girl!  So don't give up hope!!!  
by Lady_573, Nov 03, 2007
by cilla193, Feb 05, 2008
I was on depo for two years, missed it for less than a month and got pregnant. i had an abortion cause i wasnt ready. that was in 2007. i went back for another shot straight after. my next one is due in febuary 2008, but am not taking as am planning to have a baby. I think it all depends on ur body.