Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Very Tender Breasts w/ Lumps: Normal Side Effect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I once took Yaz (Yasmin) for a month and after discovering many small hard and very sensitive lumps in my breasts after one month, I stopped taking it. My doctor had no explaination.

5 years later, and I am trying birth control pills again (for various reasons). This is my first month on Diane-35. My breasts are extrememly tender and sensitive, putting on a bra is painful, and there are small hard lumps in my breast.

Are these side effects normal? Are they dangerous?
What you are having is fibrocystic disease of the breasts. Otherwise soreness of breasts can be caused by premenstrual syndrome, hormone therapy, pregnancy and breast feeding, fibrocystic disease,use of oral contraceptives and rarely a breast malignancy. Please consult a gynecologist and discuss these possibilities and change these birth control pills.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for answering.

After some research, it would seem fibrocystic disease is an ongoing condition related to the menstral cycle. In my case, it strictly occurs when I take certain birth control pills (Yaz, Diane35) but not with others (Alesse). Also, it appears within 24 hours of taking the first pill, persisting until 24 hours after the last birthcontrol pill and disappears as soon as I am not taking the birth control pills. Obviously, it is a side effect of the hormones in certain birth control pills.

Also, Fibrocystic disease is usually found in women over 30. I had the first episode on Yaz when I was 19, and now my second episode on Diane-35 at the age of 24.

Otherwise the description of fibrocystic disease seems to describe my symptoms.

I will be seeing my gynecologist in a couple weeks and ask to switch birth control pills. I will update after my consultation. Thank you again.