BIRTH CONTROL (CONTRACEPTION)
COMMUNITY
Watery/clear discharge with a tinge of blood
by Nymariarya, Feb 11, 2012
I've been on a 91-day pill for a couple of months now. I'm 42 and started the pill to help regulate my heavy periods, shrink my uterus and possibly manage my polyps. After the first four weeks, my period couldn't be suppressed, showed up with a vengence and I think I'm on the other side of the massive bleeding and tissue breakdown. My gyn instructed me to double my pills (twice daily) until the bleeding stops completely. I've been on the double dosage for close to five weeks. The heavy stuff has finally stopped but now I have an odorless, very watery discharge with only the slightest tinge of blood. Is that normal? Is this part of the regulation process?
Member Comments (2)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Feb 18, 2012
What you had was heavy bleeding and birth control pills is the first line of treatment. This watery discharge can be found and it should become better with usage.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

by Nymariarya, Feb 19, 2012
Thanks so much for your reply.

It's my understanding that due to the double-dose (twice daily) of the Introvale, the excess estrogen (0.06 mg of ethinyl estradiol) caused something called Leukorrhea. In theory, it should balance back out as my body acclimates to what will be my regular pill. My doc changed my script to Briellyn (I start the pack today) so that only the progesterone portion will be more than doubled. I've been back to single dose of Introvale for five days and my cycle has broken through to close to normal flow.

For anyone interested, here's the hormonal breakdown:

Introvale (was taking twice daily after the first four weeks) - 0.15 mg of levonorgestrel, a synthetic progestogen and 0.03 mg of ethinyl estradiol,

Briellyn - 0.4 mg norethindrone USP and 0.035 mg ethinyl estradiol USP

My estrogen numbers were never deficient so I wonder if maybe I just don't need ANY extra. Time will tell.