Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Will St.John's wort affect BC used for endometriosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I know that St-John's wort cand ecrease the effects of oral contracepives to the oint wear it's recommended to use a condom as back-up. But I only take BC for endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Will it decrease the BC effectivenessin this respect as well?

Is there a difference if I drink it in a tea vs. supplements?

I take LoEstrin continuously (only the active pills to prevent menstration).
St. John's wort is bad news for a lot of prescription drugs as it interacts with many of them.  I would look into other ways to treat depression or whatever you are using the St. John's wort for.  Decreasing effects is decreasing effects in this case.  It's affecting the hormones in the pill in some way that they can't work as well as they need to to do what they are supposed to do, so I would say it would definitely affect how it works toward your endometriosis and cysts.  Talk to your gynecologist to see if there is something that you could take that won't interact.  Drug interactions, even supplement to prescription, can be bad.