Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
birth control and period

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

birth control and period

Hi, I had the mirena for 2 yrs and had. It removed, a week after removal I started on bcp(ortho-tricyclen lo) I got a period of 3 days at the end of the package/cycle I did not continue to the bcp for a few weeks, based on my last mentrual cycle being 01/17/13 my calculations were to have my next period on 2/13/13 however on 02/09/13 I had sex w/spouse and no obvious use of contraception was used as he did finish inside, that same day I started a new package of bcp(ortho-tricyclen lo), I have not yet rcvd a period. My question is, is there a huge possibility of me becoming pregnant? And should I still have rcvd my period around the 13th or would that change b/c I did in fact start the bcp??
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise two things: the first is that it is very important to start your pill pack right away after finishing the previous one. If you don't, chances of ovulation increase quite a bit.  The second thing I would suggest is a pregnancy test, which will possibly alleviate some of your anxiety, because it is certainly possible that starting the new pill pack interfered with your normal cycle.
Good luck!
Dr B
Dr B