how long does your period last with the depo shot
im 20 yrs old and i have been on the depo shot for a month and i have been on my period for 16 days when will it stop??? and is it normal ???
im 16 years old and i just got the depo shot in august and this my first time getting my period since then & im kind of worried because ive been on my period for 8 days and im curious when will i be off? & how long is this going to last? & is this natural?
am 23 an this is my first time on the shot,,i've been bleeding for a month now after the second shot,it is frustrating an am deeply worried,i jus want to know when will it stop.my bf is so not likin it an so am i,help plzzz i need answers
I'm 20 yrs old I've been on the depo shot for a month I started my period on the 9th of November and it hasn't stopped after the 5 day ending mark. I'm worried tht it might b a health problem cuz It hasnt stopped. Shuld I go 2 the drs?
I'm on my 3rd shot for depo. I just got it two days ago. When I got the first shot, I was on my 2nd day of my period, and immediatly my period ended. When it was time for my 2nd shot, I was bleeding, but not sure what day of my period it was. Well, My gyno wasnt in the office when I needed it, so they rescheduled TWO weeks after the due date. So for the next two weeks, I was bleeding and spotting. I finally got the shot, but guess who gave it to me? THE NEW NURSE, WHOS FIRST DAY IT WAS IN THE OFFICE. She took the needle, and literally just stabbed it in my arm. She pushed it so deep, that it hurt way more than it should have. I went to a different gynecologist and I talked to her for about an hour telling her the past few months and how its been. I"ve been bleeding for 3 months, after the 2nd shot, so I was hoping that the 3rd shot would end it...She told me to take 4 aspirins in the morning with a meal, and 4 at night with dinner for a whole week. I did the calculations, and it would be about 56 pills for a whole week, if that doesnt work she will put me on the estergen pill, and if that doesnt work then i  am switching bc all together. I hope this helps, because My boyfriend and I literally are going crazy with this. He's worried that something is wrong or I'm allergic or something.
I work in a lingerie an toy store an we get toys 4 like half off I used 1 of my toys today an it brought my period back... iv been on the depo shot since September 18,2012 I didn't rly get have my period for like 2months then when I got it it lasted for like 2 weeks then it went away after a few months I had sex an my period came for rhe end of January its the end of February an I wont stop bleeding wtf is wrong :(
so Im 16 i got my depo shot on jan 15 12 i be hving sex without condoms or anything and like on march 26 or 28 that i started my period but i been bleeding lil bit not alot like othertimes and i been on it for like a wwek or more already and i been getting headaces and my stomeach been hurting idk if im pregneat or not.? so can you guys hellp.?
I'm on the shot my first shot was November the 28th last 2 weeks in February I have been on and it's not cute because when I think is this stop it starts right back up
I started the deposit shot in Oct of 2012 & never got a period until February 2013. I don't know if it was a period or spotting bcuz it was very light but lasted for 3 weeks. It stopped for a week & just started again. I'm afraid that its gonna last weeks again. My next appt. for the shot is March 27 I'm thinking about getting off. What should I do?
I took the shot on jan.23 and i being in my period for long time, i started at feb 27 and to this day i am still in my period march 23.....
Yeah. The first month I got the shot I got my period For a month. Then I didnt get my period for maybe 3 weeks or a month or so after that. Then I went back for my second shot on March 1st. But now im bleeding again and its day 6 that im still bleeding. I usually just get my period for 4-5 day. I'm only 16 I hate having a period for this long. Im just assuming its the shot though.
Don't skip it. I had my depo a few says after my Childs birth an I bled for a few days then it stopped. I haven't had one since February 26, 2011 and Just recently stopped getting it which i stopped 3 months ago now I'm very very lightly bleeding after how long. I guess it just depends on your body. Mind you we are in 2013 now
i had my shot on 21st feb n i started my periods 3 weeks after getting the shot, n it hasnt stopped yet.. it has nearly been a month now, n drivin me  crazy.. im not so happy wth ths cus i just took ths shot so tht i can ve safe sex, but ths is nt even letting me to ve sex, as thou im one of tht girl who doesnt lyk to ve sex in their period...
Hate it.... n i really wanna get out of it.. n im on my next shot in 3 weeks, hope the next shot ll stop it..
it is very common to have a long drawn out period after your first depo shot, for the first three months, you could bleed all the way through, after your second shot, your periods should go even lightwer and last less time, after the third injection (9 months on) your periods should stop altogether. as for conveiving afterwards, it can take a whole 12 months after your LAST injection to be able to concieve again. all this information iss in the bookllet that comes with the depo injections under side effects. always read this before making your choise on which contraception to go for. i am using the depo because i suffer from sever pmt, for half of my life (the week before and after my period) i was horrible. the depo eventually makes your periods stop (in most woman) which will help me because the pmt symtoms will also dissapear. hope this answer helps.
so it is  possible to get pregnant while on the shot ?
I just recently got the depo shot and my fiancee isn't to happy about it either and i'm 20 with 2 kids. i know i'm a young mom but its life changing experience and this is the first time i've ever took birth control. i've been on my period for a week and 4 days now.
im due 4 my depo on friday june 7 and im bleeding so heavy. im passing big clots and heavy bright red bleeding. the cramps r horrible. ive been on the depo for a year. ive had irregular periods. is this normal?
I am 16 years old. Ive been on my shot for 3 years. I never had spotting unless i missed my depo. Around June 1st I started my period because i was "Late" on my shot. It stayed on. I got my depo like june 10th & my period has been on since and today is June 21.. I HATE THIS SHOT. Now my summer may be ruined
Did you start the same day you got the shot?
I'm not too sure why your gynecologist wouldn't warn you about the side effects. I had a nurse practitioner and even she warned me that your period could potentially last for weeks. The shot is not for everybody and every woman will handle it differently. Call your doctor and ask about these issues before freaking out. It could just be as simple as a side effect from the medication. Reading all of these responses could seriously give some people anxiety. It's worse than WebMD.
now im not sure if i should get the depo shot...
It seems like a lot of people are unhappy with the depo shot, but I've got to admit my experience has been the complete opposite.  Though no method is perfect, the depo shot comes pretty close.  The shot was administered roughly two months, and since then I have personally experienced no bleeding at all.  It took effect almost immediately, and as far as I can tell, has worked as described.  And the reports of weight gain never really materialized.  If anything, I've actually lost a few pounds, though, of course, it's hard to isolate the depo shot as the sole cause of that, as a number of life changes have come around the same time.  Since my spouse and I had that big fight I've been cooking for myself again, and I've got to admit that I skip quite a few meals.  Most meals, actually, except for maybe some popcorn at work and some late night taco bell as I'm driving home from the bar.  And as for the irritability maybe people associate with the depo shot, once again I have to say I haven't personally witnessed any.  But then again, there was a lot of irritability there to begin with, so who knows, and also, here lately when it's looked like another fight was going to erupt I've just said, "I don't have to deal with this," and gone to the bar.  No irritability there.  None.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.  Just a bunch of us good ol' boys drinking a few beers.  It's relaxing, really.  "Sometimes," I tell the boys, "Sometimes I just can't stay home.  It's like my wife's on her period CONSTANTLY."  It's really nice to have people like that you can talk to.  Great bar, great people.  But that's a review for another place lol.  Anyway, as for the depo shot, yeah, it's great, I feel great, no bleeding, weight down.  Good stuff.  
what is a butterfly feeling. im a 20 year old female on the depo and my stomach always feels really weird, it has that weird feeling something moves,sometimes my stomach even gets stomach aches afterwords. i know youre not a doctor but i dont know who to ask, iv taken preg test b4 they said negative, also my boyfriend said he doubts im pregnant, which id say me to but i have no idea whats going on. any advice or answers??
Did you find out what it was I have the same feeling anyone awnser this!?
I had my first baby a month n 2days ago I got on the depo shot 8days after giving birth.....I was not on my period when I got it, but two days later i got it.
That was on aug, 2, 2013 n today is the aug, 26, 2013...its a light period still it *****.
I'm looking into getting the depo shot, but by reading a lot of the reviews for it, it's making me really nervous to get it. Do you mind telling me if you were on your period when you recieved your first depo shot and how old you are? Thanks :)
I am 22 years old I have been on depo on the 15 off April and I finished on the 15 off July I had a periods straight away. Den I haven't had a period for 2 months and my periods started on the 21septmber and finished on 2nd off October it's the 6th off October 2 day and I have started my periods again they are quiet heavy and I just wanted some advice because I'm concerned about it
I'm 16, went a got the Depo injection on wednesday 2nd of october 2013, Its my first time using any contraception of this form, I've been Bleeding 7 days First like a normal period for 2-3days then the rest its been light brown stopping and starting does anyone know what this is? As I'm Nervous and scared.    Thanks x
I got the shot about two days after having my baby. March 18.. Was not late on any shots had irregular periods and spotting until August now I have no periods could I b pregnant again?? I was suppose to get another asst the end of September but I didn't go but I still haven't had a period.. Why is that?? I do sometimes have this butterfly feeling in my stomach but I thought that may b because from the nervousness of being pregnant again. Can somebody tell me something please?
I got my depo shot in August and I just got my second shot and I'm still bleeding its been a month now I have no clue when I will stop
Did it ever stop?
Iv been on the shot for about a month now when I started my period it has not stopped and iv been on depo before and didn't have a period but iv had three kids now so it has all changed and I am hateing still being on my period it really *****..
well i'm 17 about to be 18, i got the depo shot on October 4th 2013 and i'm not due back until January 4th 2014. i hadn't gotten my period 2 months before i started the shot, so they put me on that hormone pill to start my period and then when i started i would get the shot the same day, well i got my period and the shot like i said October 4th 2013 and literally this is my 2nd month to the day and i am still on my period. should i be worried? and what should i do?
I got my third shot in the beginning of this month and when i got my period after that, which was 3 weeks ago, i still have it. Should i call a doctor?
Hey MoeLG,

I'm 20 years old and I had the Depo shot on February 28, 2014. Today is April 12 and I'm experiencing my first bleeding session. It started on April 3rd, and it has been 9 days now. From what I'm reading from all these women who have experienced the bleeding.. it really drives them nuts. I've been bleeding for 9 days now and I'm already going insane. With this shot, it's never really going to be a regular cycle and it's really unexpected, irregular bleeding. Some say to stick it out and get the second shot, but I honestly think you should just stay away from it. I personally do not like this because I've heard it can complicate women's pregnancy if they plan to have a child in the future and the bleeding will last 1 month or even more. Ladies, we should all do ourselves a favor and just keep our bodies natural.. I feel like it's the best way. If not, try doing birth control pills, it's the easiest way in my opinion, to keep track of our periods so we're not going insane or wondering if we'll get pregnant.
try the implanon (nexplanon), i had it for 3 years after having my first child. I loved it and would of kept it but my insurance did not cover it and it would have costed me $730 so i got the depo which was free. I got my first shot on feb.7 2014 and did not have a period until march 26th and it is now april 14th 2014 and i am still bleeding, very light vut its the principle that I can not enjoy myself due to my period. I am due for my next shot between april 25 and may 9th so hopefully this stops my bleeding, i hate the depo shot so far. hope this helps!
Before getting my first shot I had a pretty regular cycle and would even spot after intercourse.  I also had bacterial vaginosis that I couldn't kick because my periods would throw my PH out of whack each month.  I got my first shot on my cycle and bled for 3 weeks and no bleeding for one week, then another 3 weeks of bleeding etc.  Like a reverse period I bled 3 weeks out of the month for 3 months!  One week before my second shot was due, I stopped bleeding (assuming it was only for a week).  I was fed up with it and frustrated to death.  I told myself I wouldn't get the 2nd shot.  BUT I did it anyway out of lack of BC options that I was willing to do. So far its been over a month and a half and I haven't bled a single pink drop.  Not the slightest spotting - not even after sex.  It's great and I hope it stays this way. I'm glad I gave the 2nd shot  chance.
Im 17 and got the shot in May and I got the shot on the first day of my period when the doctor told me to, it's now June and I got spotting during the day of my period which starts around the 15th and since then I have been bleeding and it's the 27th today. Somedays are light but other days is like I'm having a heavy day. I'm concerned. I don't know if I'm bleeding for a longer amount of time because my normal period is heavy and it just stretched the time I have it. I don't know if I should continue to stay on the shot or stop and see if after I get the shot for the second time it will get better.
I'm 25, no kids..I have been on depo since Dec 2014 the first month i had no period at all and was a bit nervous thinking i was pregnant, had three home pregnancy tests which all came out negative. Now im having nonstop period, and it is so heavy I get very weak and alot of cramping. I skipped my last shot which was due in April. I must say this depo is the worst. I bleed right after sex everytime i *** and it is so annoying and frustrating. How long will it take before i am my normal self again???? :(
Hoping to get pregnant soon!
I would skip it, they tell you it will get back to normal after a few shots, not! I have been bleeding since January 2015 and it is June 2015. My periods have never really stopped but they are light and get heavy but never stop. I am losing my mind as well f that shot. I only got one in January and its June and I'm bleeding like a pig. I don't know what to do. They want me to do a IUD or ablation but it took 4 doctors to figure that out. Several blood tests I had a high tosterone level so they gave me the depo to even out my hormones ( my tubes are already tied) I haven't had this problem since 2004 and now this shot has started something really awful. I get dizzy, weak, light headed and I refuse a transfusion, I was fine before this ridiclious shot. Don't do it, find anything else!
Well before I started the depo I was bleeding. Very heavy for about two month or so . The reason I got on depo because I have anemia and I had lost alot of blood out of my body due my menstration. When I got the first shot in Aug.9,2015 it stopped the whole three months then I would bleed lighty when it was time for the next one. I just got one on thrid one I got has me bleeding on and off but I think I will just get off it cause Ivr gained about 45lbs just being on the shot but I guess it does everyone differently
Hi, Im on the depo shot and ive been on my period for 3 weeks now its like a brown thick color then its blood I dont know what to do its my first time ever being on birth control and Im 18 Ive been really weak in my bones and sick to my stomach Ive had really bad headaches and its stopping me from being active around the house , Im in a lot of pain and dont know what to do any help?
Its my first time to and the same thing is happening and I been on my period for 8 days
I have the same problem. It's been about three weeks for me. I got the shot about a month ago. My doctor said I would only experience spotting with the shot since my body weight is under 150, but a few days ago it started getting more red and heavier. And I doubt this is normal, but I think some of my uterine wall fell out today. It freaked me out and I think I should see my doctor, but I'm not too sure.
Shimel, if your bones hurt eat more vitamin d and c or take a vitamin  pill every  day that could  help with the bones hurting. And I'm  in the same situation  ad you bleeding for 3 weeks first time on birth control. I talked to my doctor  about this before she told me i should  take ibuprofen 600ml for 3 days every 8 or six hours. Since i been doing  that the bleeding  been slowing down a whole lot. Maybe  you should  talk to your doctor  about  that and the  other issues  u had on depo.
ive been on the depo shot for a month now and before I wasn't getting my period but now im having heavy periods and for 6 days now is this even a good thing??
I got the shot Nov. 5th 2015. It cut my period short. In December I started spotting. Christmas Eve I started with heavy bleeding and have been bleeding ever since. I will not get the shot again. I am hoping that the bleeding will stop when the shot runs out.
I'm 23 year old I just got on the depo shot January/20/2016 I just had my period on February/10th/2016 it was light pink for 3days then it stop then four days it was pink n red then today it's Brown but now I'm having pains n my stomach but not cramps jus Sharp pains I don't know what to do with this please tell me what's going on with me
Once the shot has worn off it will probably last as long as it takes you to get your next shot. As of what I read on here, my period has been lasting 8 days now. Not usual. And the next shot might do the trick! (Might/Hopefully). As of what I read on here, once you get the shot your period should go away in the next 48 hours!
When I first got my shot, I bled for 6 months, then they went away
Off that poison now,  good luck!
To anyone who's is on the Depo shot, or thinking of getting on...

I was a long time user of the Depo (7-8y) and I hated it and loved it
At first I saw bloating, 80 pounds of weight gain, acne, anxiety, etc
After a few years of use I decided to lose weight and dos. Total of 110 pounds. After I had lost the weight I didn't have symptoms associated except maybe the hypothyroidism I developed and the Exema all over my body.

I researched the drug thoroughly and lemme tell ya I could write a book about it

It is a drug that was used to control the minority population at one point
It was used on majority black and Hispanic women

It increases your chances of breast cancer
More prone to std infection
Possibility of infertility later in life
Increase chances of stroke and blood clots
Decrease in bone density

Not sure why this drug is on the market still but I decided to drop the drug after 8 y of use because Of these reasons I listed

For anyone who thinks the drug works for them... That's great, but from what I can see
Osteoporosis, arthritis, breast cancer, stroke, early death etc is not worth having no baby's

Just my advice... Good luck everyone!
I got my first shot on oct 28 and I'm still bleeding nov 21 I'm always angry not feeling like myself and i have to get blood transfusion due to anemia i don't know why this doctor thought it would be wise for me to get the shot I'm miserable i need to stop bleeding and get this mess out of my system!!! I feel like I'm walking dead!!! Mad 33yr old black women!!!  
...Show more
I have been bleeding for two weeks. Is this common? When will it stop?