Birth Control (Contraception) Community
how long does your period last with the depo shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

im 20 yrs old and i have been on the depo shot for a month and i have been on my period for 16 days when will it stop??? and is it normal ???
Birth control is not an exact science it just depends on your body and your hormones. Typically it takes about 90 days for your body to adjust to a hormonal change. I got the depo shot about 2 months ago. I had been having problems with having long, drawn out, but light periods. A few days after I got the shot I finally stopped bleeding. Unfortunately about a month later I started again and have not stopped since. OMG I am going insane, my boyfriend's not so happy about it either! I've been drinking this Women's Moon Cycle Tea by yogi (yogitea.com) It helps with the cramping and the craziness but has yet to stop my bleeding. Also the tea contains Phytoestrogens which I am somewhat concerned will interfere with the shot. The Depo shot is all progesterone. I doubt it would be enough to really interfere.
Anyway in conclusion, there is no such thing as a "normal reaction" talk to your doctor and definately be concerned if your symptons persist for more than 90 days. Other than that. we'll just have to stick it out.
Good luck, i know I need it too.
im on depo and i dont have a period............maybe some spoting 1 a year
I am also 20 years old. When I got on the depo in DEC. on the 11Th 2008, I had non stop bleeding and I started bleeding from my butt. (not to be gross or scare you)
I don't know if you are sexually active or if you know much about the depo shot. On many different sites you see people fighting over the answers you get.
But if you are sexually active please still use a different type of protection other than the shot. I have 2 beautiful children and I just recently found out I'm pregnant again I'M about 3 and a half months. Yes I got pregnant while being on the shot. My shot wasn't due till March 11Th but I decided since my bleeding was crazy I wanted to stop. The last time I had my period was April 2ed it started and ended the 16th and then i had spotting on the 20th-23ed. Here I had 4 home pregnancy tests negative I had 3 blood tests negative. I talked to the Dr because I was having this butterfly movement in my stomach like i had in the beginning of my pregnancy with my daughter  and it sure as hell wasn't gas. He had told me while being on the depo there is a chance of still getting pregnant and most young women do. They said the reason it was not showing up in the blood work and the urine was due to the depo shot. It brings down your HGC hormones in your body and that's way a huge number of people don't know they are pregnant. Unfortunitly, the baby ends up dying before people even know they are pregnant. I was told this by a pennsylvania state specialist in the department of OBGYN. That doctor was the best in the state.
My best friend was on the depo for 2 years and she didnt know she was pregnant until her water broke and the baby was premature by 2 months. That is also a side effect from the depo. Premature birth. There are a lot of risks that the Doctors dont tell you about the depo that are more dangerous than the pill.
Im 16 Years Old Ive Been On The Shot For About 2 Months Im Due January 29.Ive Had My Period For About A Week 7 Days And Idk When Im qoinq To Stop Bleedinq I Dont Bleed To Much Just Liqht Pink But I Dont Want It Anymore.I Didnt Use Protection For A Whole Entire Year And Didnt get Preqnant I DOnt Know If Its Because My Boyfriend Has A Low Sperm Count?But Anyways I Dont USe Protection At All On The Depo Shot And Now Im Scaredd I Cant get Pregnant:(
WELL I TOOK THE SHOT ON MARCH 24 AND IM STILL ON TILL DIS DAY ITS NOT HEAVY BLEEDING THANK GOD BUT I HATE PERIODS I USALLY STAY ON FOR FIVE DAYS BUT I BEEN ON SINCE APRIL 8 TH AND STILL ON I HATE DAT ITS TAKEING DIS LONG 2 GO OFF I HOPE I DONT STAY ON TILL MORE MONTHS IF SO DIS **** HAVE 2 COME 2 A END BY THE WAY I 17 MY FIRST TIME ON THE SHOT.
I got the Depo shot on Dec 18, 2009 and today is April 26, 2010 and I am still on my period. It is a regular flow too. I dont know what to do.
sometimes people can bleed for months, i have the depo 21 days after childbirth and my periods went buzzerk, they were heavy then light and i bled constantly for bout 6 weeks, the next injection i had when i was on period it stopped next
do you have any other problems since starting it? do you mind me asking if you have any spotting after intercourse, i get this when in first few week after injection, im going talk to my doctor just to make sure cz its only happened on the depo.
I started depo 2 months ago bc I have very painful periods. I've been bleeding non stop since the day I started it. I'm. About. To. Lose. My. Mothereffing MIND!!!! My second shot is scheduled next month, should I skip it??
The shot is no longer even an option at my doctor's office!!! They were having too many issues with women reporting severe bleeding and even fertility issues following the use of the shot.
I have taken the depo shot twice. And I heard that it takes like 4 times for your body to get used to it. I got my second shot feb. 12th So my doctor told me to wait 2 weeks after I got it before having intercourse and we didn't. My shot was supposed to end mid april so I thought I was supposed to get my period normaly. I got it at the beginning of may but it was super light and only lasted 2 days so I thought maybe its because of the bc so I said ill wait till I get my period.. it is now june 20th and I haven't gotten it at all. But I've taken 2 testts and they both came out negative.. could I be pregnant?
Omg I thought it was just me. I got my shot in may during my period and it stopped it like a day or two later. But I've been bleeding for like 3 wks and I'm going to lose it. Um due for my shot next month I hope it stops soon it's ruining my life.  
Hi,i had my first and last depo shot 7 month ago and since then i have noot stop bleeding.I have read a lot of complains about depo shot and same problems as mine UNTIL today when i went to GP  and she even suggested that it could be cervical cancer !!!Can you imagine!I have done my smear test just before depo shot,everything was fine and 1 week after the shot i started spotting and bleeding till now.So she scared me right off.Now i am waiting for my  gynecologist appointment to come through.I am so worried at the moment.I am sure it is because of Depo Provera  AND NOT CANCER.I told her that i have read a lot of reviews of woman who had the sam on going bleeding for months,but she kind of ignored that.
I just wonder how will they stop that bleeding?When it is going to stop?Plus i have bad mood swings like on my period (i have very bad PMS syndrom (syndrome) )uhhh
Sorry for the long post and probably with a loot of mistakes but i am not English and tried my best:)
regards.
Dary
im thnkin tha same thng...i wan stop bleedin dis is jus krazy
I'm thinkin bout takin da depo shot cuz I really hate pills an I'm bad on timin so what should I do I got two kids an neva eva been on birth control before someone help me I don't want no periods for da rest of my life what do y'all think is a better birth control for me?
i have been on period for 36 days now and i just want to know whether or not this nis normal for depo or is it just my body  

my last depo shot has been on dec 2
I was on Depo for about a year and my first period lasted about 10 days and then it stopped. My next period was light and only lasted 2 days and then I never had one again for the rest of that year. I went off of it and about a 6 weeks later I had a period that lasted for a about two months but then I went back to normal. I went back on the shot today while on my period, so I'm hoping that it will stop my periods again completely. I know that taking the pill and not taking the reminder pills, just going straight into another a pack without using the non-hormone pills will make your period stop as well. I've done it that way but pills give me leg cramps and Depo does not so I went back to Depo.  
I started my depo somewhere around last April or may, and I have not stopped bleeding for more than one or two days maybe twice, since then. I hate it. My sex life is horrible bc who feels sexxc when thy are always bleeding. I also gained about 50 lbs, and its like pulling my own teeth out to try and lose weight. I am officially DONE with this pill and  its bs...and cant wait for my system to detox!
okay i took the depo shot about a month ago.
i have been bleeding constantly, but my doctor gave me estrogen pills to counter act the progesterone that is in the depo shot. it's decreasing the flow. i have not gained weight because i keep up with the same eating habits, and try and ignore the extra hormonal levels that it gives off.. crying, depression, you get the idea. go to your obgyn SPECIALIST, who knows about the depo, get prescribed estrogen. they can increase the dosage slowly if necessary. also with all this bleeding, your doctors should have checked your iron levels. you should be prescribed iron pills, it can cause constipation so make sure you take a fiber pill with it. i take both pills at night.

good luck!
i got the depo shot around 2 weeks ago and i was due for my period on the 18th, it is now the 24th, am i pregnant?!?!?
see i thought it was only me..cus dis is my sec shot...i missed a month and wen it was a gud tyme for me i got bak on...now dat ive gotten bak on ive been bleeding non stop..i cant take dis no mre nither can my boyfriend...it gets light den go away...fool me and *** bak..smfh...i refuse 2 do dis shot another month...
I got a depo shot in November of 2010 and never went back to get the second shot, I had been bleeding brown blood nonstop since December and I started trying to conseve on April 10th supost to ovulate that week, but I never had a real peroid since the shot or I didnt know because of the nonstop spotting but I belive I had a period on the 5th of April. But on the 12th the spotting suddenly stoped and hasnt started back. Could this mean Im pregnant or is it still to early to tell?
I do know that timing has a lot to do with your period and taking the shot. My dr always recommends taking the shot while on your period. If you take it while not on your cycle this could cause the continous bleeding.
I received my first Depo shot in November '10 and within days my period started... It is now May '11 and I'm still on that same period. The flow alternates between moderate and heavy. I've contacted my doctor and nurse numerous times about my concerns and I'm always faced with the same "advice".. To stick it out and get another shot because MAYBE it'll go away.. Well, I've been having constant mood swings, no energy, dehydrated, consistently feeling nauseous, aching joints, and so on.. All my doctor will do is test me for anemia and if I'm pregnant..

I'm due for another shot this month and was seriously considering changing birth control.. Any suggestions on what I should try? I'm sick of having my period for 6 months straight now and feeling miserable.
I have been on depo for about three years now. The first couple of times I started to spot I called and talked to a nurse about it. They told me to take 2  ibuprofen every 4 hours i think it was...for 5 days and if it doesnt stop then I was told to call them back.  
No don't skip it because you've come thus far just be patient BTW Ibprofen 800 helps to stop the bleeding & pain dramatically. Most go through @ least 3 months of bleeding so if its time I say go for it b/c pretty soon like in a year or more you might miss it not being there..... well not me personally but that's what some say & they're prob ready 4 kids too so yea.
i took the depo shot for the first time in my life..cuz im going out of country on da same day of my expected period date..so the doc said..take the depo shot..u wont get any periods plus u'll be on birth control for the three months u're going..
i took it on june 16..on 2nd day of my period..and todays is my 10th day of period..and m still spotting..
i hate it..i didnt really look for reviews on the internet or asked anyone about it..just trusted the doctor and didnt wanted to get my periods when im flying (im going out of country for cuzzins wedding on july 17)
so i trusted the doc and took the shot..but i hate it and regret it..
i simply played with my harmones and m so angry right now.
my periods were very light compare to all these years..but the spotting doesnt stop til now..
my hubby wants to have a relationship but hes like y r u still bleeding..cuz i didnt tell him:(
so ya..he wants to come near me..touch me n all but i have like no interest..plus im getting irritated with him..
now m thinking, it would have been better if i got my periods during the wedding time and traveling..
was stupid to get this shot..i called the doc but she said..its ok..its normal..
what should i do..plz help! i wanna have a relationship with my hubby..but not with this stupid spotting:(
plz help guys!!
btw, i already have a baby gurl who is 3 yrs old..its just me, hubby and my 3 yr old daughter..
i just got my depo shot and then after thAt i got my period when will it stop, ive had it for almost a week now?

-jenny
I have been on the shot since about march. shortly after i got my first dose, i was on my period for almost 3 weeks, it was light, stringy and brown. now next month i get my 3rd dose and i have been on a period for going on 4 weeks now. only having 1 week if that off my period is messing up any sex life i had. i understand where all you ladies are coming from with not having much if any sex life. i am thinking since i am almost 30 years old and have 4 children it is time to just get my tubes tied. Can't handle the periods not going away. grrrrrrrr..... good luck to all
I have been on the depo shot for 5 months and have been on my period for a month and a half. It is changes from light to normal flow. Sometimes I think I don't have it for the first few hours in the morning then it starts. I don't know when it will stop. But I have bad cramps at night and sometimes in the day.  
I JUST GOT ON THE DEPO SHOT FOR THE FIRST TIME ON AUGUST 30 AND MY PERIOD WAS SUPPOSE TO COME ON SEPTEMBER 22 BUT I NEVER CAME ON. I BEEN HURTING A LOT CAN'T REALLY EAT CAUSE IT MAKES ME SICK. I TOOK A PREGNANCY TEST AND IT SAID NEGATIVE, IS IT THE DEPO MAKING ME SICK OR AM I PREGNANT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
I Got On The Depo Shot Last Month September 22 Andd I Started MY Period On Monday But This Morning Before I Left The House I Had No Blood NO Nothingg , So I Didnt Use A Tampon I Came Home Andd Used The Bathroom Andd Looky Here MY Period Is Back ; Idk How This Is Gonna Effect MY Normal 3 Day Cycle But I Need This To Stop !!!!
im 19 years old got the depo sep 28th after a miscarriage and im still bledding. it went from a normal period flow to spotting. how long does this last?
im 17 and ive gotten the shot 3 times...first time i didnt bleed at all 2nd time twards the end when i needed a new shot i bled for a good month straight...i just got the shot again yesterday so hopefully it stops..i decided to switch to IUD after this last shot...if you get it uninsured theyll insert the one with no hormones and youll still get your periods...if your insurance covers it they can insert the one with hormones and you wont get your period and they both last 5 years.
I am 45 got the depo shot a few months ago to help control heavy and erratic periods and have not stopped bleeding since.
Its about 3 months. I am worried since the new doctor things I have uterine cancer. I was getting whcy periods probably from perimenopause and huge fibroids I have now I am freaking out they want to do a hsyterectomy and the test for cancer I am doing next week and takes up to two weeks for results I am bleeding like crazy and she gave me some pills that are supposed to stop it.
this is my 1 time getting depo and my period has ben on for all most a 10 days...i have look up how long it pose to be on but no help...also i got my shot when i was on my period dose that have any thing to do with it....HELP
i took my first depo shot  nov. 15 of this year, i have started VERY light bleeding today with no cramps what so ever so far. i dont have any other side effects at all so i say take it. but im going to call my doctor tomorrow to make sure its normal.
Heyy!!
Ive been on the depo for almost three months.. n this last montj i have goten my period its been non stop but not heavy for about 3weeks im goin crazy and so is my husband i have no idea wat to do?? ..
#feedback please!!
Yes you should . I have 3 and half months with my period and I, going crazy
I was on depo shot since Nov. 2011- Jan. 31st I did not go for my second shot. And since November i have not get my period :o Its february already and no signs of period :/ and my husband and I are trying to conceive
i wanted to now that if after you stop the depo shot is it normal too have your period more than 1 or 2 months??
If you are on the shot, a lot of people, not all people, but a lot of people don't get preganate on the shot, I am on the shot and I have sex with my boyfriend all the time with out a condom and i know he doesn't have std's becasue we checked eachother at the department but anyways, I didn't get preganate at all lol, you are just fine and the same age as me, and you shouldn't be worrying about the babys yet anyways lol :)
I stared depo Jan 23rd of this yr and i was on my period at the time it lasted a whole month then i stopped Feb 15 &my period started again a week later and im still bleeding. I would like to know if this is normal im hoping my body just has to get used to the shot. Someone please help.. Kayla C
so after the second shot the bleeding should stop ? im having the same problem but its light then dark but not heavy like 2 3 drops but  i wouldl ike it to stop can u give me any advise it will be very help full for me
Has anyone expericed this I'm on depo prova for 7 months now and the first needle I bled none stop for 3 months... Then I got told by my doctors nurse that I have to take it every 2 months because it wears off on me to quick. The third needle i stopped bleeding completely untill the 9th I had pinkish light brown blood it lasted about 2 hours and went away. Then i got it again on the 12th and then 3 hours after that i started bleed really heavy, I gotten lower back and stomach cramps and tender breath and nipples turning brown and headaches that last all day pretty much even before this happened. But  I went to the hospital after i started bleeding and they said i had a urine infection but i had no hot Pee or anything and they did I pregnancy test and it came out negative. Iv been bleeding light pink blood today for the past 5 hours and I'm so comfussed right now I have done blood test negative and Pee test negative.  I also have a daughter that's 11 months old. And all these pregnancy symptoms I had them when i was pregnant with her. Help? Please
Ive been getting the depo shot for 3 years and never was bleeding before and now i am its been 2 weeks and im so confused my boyfriend doesnt like it at all it ***** i dont understand someon help me understandddd!!!!!!
I'm 16 and got my first depo shot the end of last month its April 8 ' I've been on my period for 8days the first 2days if was light bleeding now its heavy and its causing really bad headaches i want my period to stop completely ...my next appointment is June 6 should i go?  or skip it? i wanna know how long will this period last my periods normally last 3days or 4 nothing more but its been 8days :( i need answers please.
I got my first shot of Depo on March 16 and I started my period on April 7 2012 and it ended April 12 and now I started again on April 15 wow and alot of cramps too ... I'm kinda having doubts about it
Hey i got the depo in january and missed my app. For my other shot and like im sexually active i had a period for two weeks then stopped bleeding for a week then started bleeding again and now ive been bleeding for a month what does this mean
i passed out at work because ive been bleeding heavily for a month straight i dont know when this will stop but i have the WORST under eye circles i look like im dieing stupid doctor knew i was anemic and still thought this shot was ok for me didnt even mention i would bleed nonstop, im always shaking
i am 31 i am on depo shot also i been on my period 17 days it started with spotting also
I am 43  and got the first shot in Dec 2011 b/c of heavy periods ( I was bleeding for 6-8 weeks!) and the first month, nothing-I was in heaven. Then in Jan 2012, started spotting. February, full out period. Second shot in March, still spotting, bleeding, clotting-they are telling me this is normal. It is so not normal. I am not getting another shot. I am contemplating a hysterectomy.
I'm 16 and I got it around February because my doctor said it would stop periods, I had a three or four day period, then nothing for a little bit. Then it started to be brown colored and now its red but its been two weeks and Im scared it will stay that way for up to a year. Does getting on a pill help? And If so what pill?
a couple weeks after i got the shot i started my period which then lasted the next 2 months. im due for my 2nd shot this july 2nd so im wondering if anyone knows if the bleeding will stop once i get the 2nd shot???!!!! please help me answer this question ive been curious about since my period decided to never end!!! thansk
Im 21 yr old and i been on the shot since july 12 of last year. After i have sex it comes on the next day and im scared causes i dont want to have aids or hiv.  My period comes on for a week then it come back on 2 week later. This started March of this year. My Dr. gave me some Estradiol and yes it work for a 2 month but then in May my period would come and goes for a week or 2 week. Can someone tell me what the heck is going on.
Well I'm shayshay and I took my first depo shot on july 13 and I'm still on my period till dhx day is this ever gone end cux I'm bou to go crazy
I had my baby girl Dec.27th of 2011 I didn't stop bleeding for 3months after her birth they gave me da depo thinking it was gunna stop the bleeding it sure didn't then in March was da first depo the bleeding didn't stop so they gave me another one in may it is now aug 7th & I got lower back pains & been to da restroom several times but this last time I went when I wiped there was blood does anyone knows what that means or if its normal?
Depo affects each one differently, I was on it for 3 yrs and actually enjoyed it...my periods would only last for like 4 days and light as ever and it only came the month before I returned to get my shot, compared to when I wasn't taking anything it would last 7 days and HEAVYY!! Hope it gets under control for you.
i have been on depo for about 6 yrs on off. never got a period. the day it wore off i would get one.. get my next needle n my period would be gone in 48 hours. had my son in apr 2011 andi had the shot once afterwards n it stopped after a week got preg with my daughter whilest off depo i had a scare n thought i was preg so waited two weeks n then we actually did fall preg lol. anyway just had her 4 months ago n mow my period has been there ever since. on off on off its FKN BS!! i just had my needle recently n nothings changed partners pissed off.. so am i this is my second one. please help...
Well I took the shot on July 16th and my period stayed on the whole 6 weeks and now it's sept 15 and it's still on it will go off for about three the four days den soon as I hve intercourse it start spottin again and stayin on regularly and I want to kno If I shud get the next shot?
im 16 years old and i just got the depo shot in august and this my first time getting my period since then & im kind of worried because ive been on my period for 8 days and im curious when will i be off? & how long is this going to last? & is this natural?
am 23 an this is my first time on the shot,,i've been bleeding for a month now after the second shot,it is frustrating an am deeply worried,i jus want to know when will it stop.my bf is so not likin it an so am i,help plzzz i need answers
I'm 20 yrs old I've been on the depo shot for a month I started my period on the 9th of November and it hasn't stopped after the 5 day ending mark. I'm worried tht it might b a health problem cuz It hasnt stopped. Shuld I go 2 the drs?
I'm on my 3rd shot for depo. I just got it two days ago. When I got the first shot, I was on my 2nd day of my period, and immediatly my period ended. When it was time for my 2nd shot, I was bleeding, but not sure what day of my period it was. Well, My gyno wasnt in the office when I needed it, so they rescheduled TWO weeks after the due date. So for the next two weeks, I was bleeding and spotting. I finally got the shot, but guess who gave it to me? THE NEW NURSE, WHOS FIRST DAY IT WAS IN THE OFFICE. She took the needle, and literally just stabbed it in my arm. She pushed it so deep, that it hurt way more than it should have. I went to a different gynecologist and I talked to her for about an hour telling her the past few months and how its been. I"ve been bleeding for 3 months, after the 2nd shot, so I was hoping that the 3rd shot would end it...She told me to take 4 aspirins in the morning with a meal, and 4 at night with dinner for a whole week. I did the calculations, and it would be about 56 pills for a whole week, if that doesnt work she will put me on the estergen pill, and if that doesnt work then i  am switching bc all together. I hope this helps, because My boyfriend and I literally are going crazy with this. He's worried that something is wrong or I'm allergic or something.
I work in a lingerie an toy store an we get toys 4 like half off I used 1 of my toys today an it brought my period back... iv been on the depo shot since September 18,2012 I didn't rly get have my period for like 2months then when I got it it lasted for like 2 weeks then it went away after a few months I had sex an my period came for rhe end of January its the end of February an I wont stop bleeding wtf is wrong :(
so Im 16 i got my depo shot on jan 15 12 i be hving sex without condoms or anything and like on march 26 or 28 that i started my period but i been bleeding lil bit not alot like othertimes and i been on it for like a wwek or more already and i been getting headaces and my stomeach been hurting idk if im pregneat or not.? so can you guys hellp.?
I'm on the shot my first shot was November the 28th last 2 weeks in February I have been on and it's not cute because when I think is this stop it starts right back up
I started the deposit shot in Oct of 2012 & never got a period until February 2013. I don't know if it was a period or spotting bcuz it was very light but lasted for 3 weeks. It stopped for a week & just started again. I'm afraid that its gonna last weeks again. My next appt. for the shot is March 27 I'm thinking about getting off. What should I do?
I took the shot on jan.23 and i being in my period for long time, i started at feb 27 and to this day i am still in my period march 23.....
Yeah. The first month I got the shot I got my period For a month. Then I didnt get my period for maybe 3 weeks or a month or so after that. Then I went back for my second shot on March 1st. But now im bleeding again and its day 6 that im still bleeding. I usually just get my period for 4-5 day. I'm only 16 I hate having a period for this long. Im just assuming its the shot though.
Don't skip it. I had my depo a few says after my Childs birth an I bled for a few days then it stopped. I haven't had one since February 26, 2011 and Just recently stopped getting it which i stopped 3 months ago now I'm very very lightly bleeding after how long. I guess it just depends on your body. Mind you we are in 2013 now
i had my shot on 21st feb n i started my periods 3 weeks after getting the shot, n it hasnt stopped yet.. it has nearly been a month now, n drivin me  crazy.. im not so happy wth ths cus i just took ths shot so tht i can ve safe sex, but ths is nt even letting me to ve sex, as thou im one of tht girl who doesnt lyk to ve sex in their period...
Hate it.... n i really wanna get out of it.. n im on my next shot in 3 weeks, hope the next shot ll stop it..
it is very common to have a long drawn out period after your first depo shot, for the first three months, you could bleed all the way through, after your second shot, your periods should go even lightwer and last less time, after the third injection (9 months on) your periods should stop altogether. as for conveiving afterwards, it can take a whole 12 months after your LAST injection to be able to concieve (conceive) again. all this information iss in the bookllet that comes with the depo injections under side effects. always read this before making your choise on which contraception to go for. i am using the depo because i suffer from sever pmt, for half of my life (the week before and after my period) i was horrible. the depo eventually makes your periods stop (in most woman) which will help me because the pmt symtoms (symptoms) will also dissapear. hope this answer helps.
so it is  possible to get pregnant while on the shot ?
I just recently got the depo shot and my fiancee isn't to happy about it either and i'm 20 with 2 kids. i know i'm a young mom but its life changing experience and this is the first time i've ever took birth control. i've been on my period for a week and 4 days now.
im due 4 my depo on friday june 7 and im bleeding so heavy. im passing big clots and heavy bright red bleeding. the cramps r horrible. ive been on the depo for a year. ive had irregular periods. is this normal?
I am 16 years old. Ive been on my shot for 3 years. I never had spotting unless i missed my depo. Around June 1st I started my period because i was "Late" on my shot. It stayed on. I got my depo like june 10th & my period has been on since and today is June 21.. I HATE THIS SHOT. Now my summer may be ruined
Did you start the same day you got the shot?
I'm not too sure why your gynecologist wouldn't warn you about the side effects. I had a nurse practitioner and even she warned me that your period could potentially last for weeks. The shot is not for everybody and every woman will handle it differently. Call your doctor and ask about these issues before freaking out. It could just be as simple as a side effect from the medication. Reading all of these responses could seriously give some people anxiety. It's worse than WebMD.
now im not sure if i should get the depo shot...
It seems like a lot of people are unhappy with the depo shot, but I've got to admit my experience has been the complete opposite.  Though no method is perfect, the depo shot comes pretty close.  The shot was administered roughly two months, and since then I have personally experienced no bleeding at all.  It took effect almost immediately, and as far as I can tell, has worked as described.  And the reports of weight gain never really materialized.  If anything, I've actually lost a few pounds, though, of course, it's hard to isolate the depo shot as the sole cause of that, as a number of life changes have come around the same time.  Since my spouse and I had that big fight I've been cooking for myself again, and I've got to admit that I skip quite a few meals.  Most meals, actually, except for maybe some popcorn at work and some late night taco bell as I'm driving home from the bar.  And as for the irritability maybe people associate with the depo shot, once again I have to say I haven't personally witnessed any.  But then again, there was a lot of irritability there to begin with, so who knows, and also, here lately when it's looked like another fight was going to erupt I've just said, "I don't have to deal with this," and gone to the bar.  No irritability there.  None.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.  Just a bunch of us good ol' boys drinking a few beers.  It's relaxing, really.  "Sometimes," I tell the boys, "Sometimes I just can't stay home.  It's like my wife's on her period CONSTANTLY."  It's really nice to have people like that you can talk to.  Great bar, great people.  But that's a review for another place lol.  Anyway, as for the depo shot, yeah, it's great, I feel great, no bleeding, weight down.  Good stuff.  
what is a butterfly feeling. im a 20 year old female on the depo and my stomach always feels really weird, it has that weird feeling something moves,sometimes my stomach even gets stomach aches afterwords. i know youre not a doctor but i dont know who to ask, iv taken preg test b4 they said negative, also my boyfriend said he doubts im pregnant, which id say me to but i have no idea whats going on. any advice or answers??
I had my first baby a month n 2days ago I got on the depo shot 8days after giving birth.....I was not on my period when I got it, but two days later i got it.
That was on aug, 2, 2013 n today is the aug, 26, 2013...its a light period still it *****.
I'm looking into getting the depo shot, but by reading a lot of the reviews for it, it's making me really nervous to get it. Do you mind telling me if you were on your period when you recieved your first depo shot and how old you are? Thanks :)
I am 22 years old I have been on depo on the 15 off April and I finished on the 15 off July I had a periods straight away. Den I haven't had a period for 2 months and my periods started on the 21septmber and finished on 2nd off October it's the 6th off October 2 day and I have started my periods again they are quiet heavy and I just wanted some advice because I'm concerned about it
I'm 16, went a got the Depo injection on wednesday 2nd of october 2013, Its my first time using any contraception of this form, I've been Bleeding 7 days First like a normal period for 2-3days then the rest its been light brown stopping and starting does anyone know what this is? As I'm Nervous and scared.    Thanks x
I got the shot about two days after having my baby. March 18.. Was not late on any shots had irregular periods and spotting until August now I have no periods could I b pregnant again?? I was suppose to get another asst the end of September but I didn't go but I still haven't had a period.. Why is that?? I do sometimes have this butterfly feeling in my stomach but I thought that may b because from the nervousness of being pregnant again. Can somebody tell me something please?
I got my depo shot in August and I just got my second shot and I'm still bleeding its been a month now I have no clue when I will stop
Iv been on the shot for about a month now when I started my period it has not stopped and iv been on depo before and didn't have a period but iv had three kids now so it has all changed and I am hateing still being on my period it really *****..
well i'm 17 about to be 18, i got the depo shot on October 4th 2013 and i'm not due back until January 4th 2014. i hadn't gotten my period 2 months before i started the shot, so they put me on that hormone pill to start my period and then when i started i would get the shot the same day, well i got my period and the shot like i said October 4th 2013 and literally this is my 2nd month to the day and i am still on my period. should i be worried? and what should i do?
I got my third shot in the beginning of this month and when i got my period after that, which was 3 weeks ago, i still have it. Should i call a doctor?
Hey MoeLG,

I'm 20 years old and I had the Depo shot on February 28, 2014. Today is April 12 and I'm experiencing my first bleeding session. It started on April 3rd, and it has been 9 days now. From what I'm reading from all these women who have experienced the bleeding.. it really drives them nuts. I've been bleeding for 9 days now and I'm already going insane. With this shot, it's never really going to be a regular cycle and it's really unexpected, irregular bleeding. Some say to stick it out and get the second shot, but I honestly think you should just stay away from it. I personally do not like this because I've heard it can complicate women's pregnancy if they plan to have a child in the future and the bleeding will last 1 month or even more. Ladies, we should all do ourselves a favor and just keep our bodies natural.. I feel like it's the best way. If not, try doing birth control pills, it's the easiest way in my opinion, to keep track of our periods so we're not going insane or wondering if we'll get pregnant.
try the implanon (nexplanon), i had it for 3 years after having my first child. I loved it and would of kept it but my insurance did not cover it and it would have costed me $730 so i got the depo which was free. I got my first shot on feb.7 2014 and did not have a period until march 26th and it is now april 14th 2014 and i am still bleeding, very light vut its the principle that I can not enjoy myself due to my period. I am due for my next shot between april 25 and may 9th so hopefully this stops my bleeding, i hate the depo shot so far. hope this helps!
Before getting my first shot I had a pretty regular cycle and would even spot after intercourse.  I also had bacterial vaginosis that I couldn't kick because my periods would throw my PH out of whack each month.  I got my first shot on my cycle and bled for 3 weeks and no bleeding for one week, then another 3 weeks of bleeding etc.  Like a reverse period I bled 3 weeks out of the month for 3 months!  One week before my second shot was due, I stopped bleeding (assuming it was only for a week).  I was fed up with it and frustrated to death.  I told myself I wouldn't get the 2nd shot.  BUT I did it anyway out of lack of BC options that I was willing to do. So far its been over a month and a half and I haven't bled a single pink drop.  Not the slightest spotting - not even after sex.  It's great and I hope it stays this way. I'm glad I gave the 2nd shot  chance.
Im 17 and got the shot in May and I got the shot on the first day of my period when the doctor told me to, it's now June and I got spotting during the day of my period which starts around the 15th and since then I have been bleeding and it's the 27th today. Somedays are light but other days is like I'm having a heavy day. I'm concerned. I don't know if I'm bleeding for a longer amount of time because my normal period is heavy and it just stretched the time I have it. I don't know if I should continue to stay on the shot or stop and see if after I get the shot for the second time it will get better.