Birth Control (Contraception) Community
my mirena

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

my mirena

So I am curious about my iud.. My mother called me tonight and was talking to me about it, apparently she had seen something on the news saying that the iud could cause more problems than I had known about. Saying things like that I have that possibility that i could not get pregnant after the removal and it could cause diseases and failures in my body... I am concerned i am only 20 years old and have had the iud for about 2 years, so i am kind of concerned. I have gained wait which has been extremely depressing. I don't have periods and i don't have cramps. It is uncomfortable while having sex and i have had a couple of partners tell me they can feel it and it hurts them... i am just trying to decide if i wanna still keep it in or take it out... any opinions? I'm kind of scared.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Every birth control method has its own advantages and disadvantages. It may cause side effects in few women while may not cause any in others. Menstrual irregularities, pelvic inflammatory disease, development of benign cysts, weight gain, mood changes etc are few of the side effects associated with Merina.Almost 80% of women conceive within 12 months after Mirena removal. Once Mirena is removed, the contraceptive effect is immediately reversed and a woman can start ovulating anytime from 1 month to 6 months after Mirena removal. If you are having any problems with your IUD it is best to consult your gynecologist and get your doubts clarified.
Best of luck and regards!