Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
trying to get pregnant

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

trying to get pregnant

My husband and I are trying to have a baby. We have been trying for 4 months. I had the meraina for 4 1/2 years and my doctor told me that the first three months I would be very fertile but nothing has happened. Should I be worried? I had got it taken out because I saw a commercial that said this was a bad drug and was makeing women infertile. Could I be infertile because of the birthcontrol?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would reassure you that the Mirena is a very good form of birth control and there is no evidence that it causes infertility.  If you have resumed normal periods, you are probably ovulating again and the statistic is that 85% of normal, fertile couples will conceive within one year. So, what I am saying is that you probably just need more time.  IF you are over 30 and have been trying for over 6 months, or if you are less than 30 and have been trying for over a year, then it is time to get help from your doctor.  Otherwise, just let nature take its course.
Good luck!
Dr B