Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Just diagnosed with borderline personality disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Hi, I've been going to therapy on and off for I guess ten years now (I'm 23). I just got diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I have a history of cutting (it's very much under control right now) as well as a history of other self destructive behaviors. I also suffer from bad anxiety. I've only seen this therapist for two sessions and she gave me this diagnosis. I'm very overwhelmed with the diagnosis, and I'm not sure what to do. I've been looking up symptoms and a few don't apply to me at all. Also I had a normal happy childhood and I'm very close with my family. Now I just feel like there is something seriously wrong with me, it's very upsetting.
Hi there hunny.  I'm new to this site but not at all new to BPD sites elsewhere and also I've suffered borderline for 30 years now.  Don't be confused or overly worried about the diagnosis that has been made, rather too fast I think but that's only my opnion.  I most certainly am borderline and always have been, even back then when it was not mentioned or heard of.  Even though it's certain regarding myself I still don't fit every symptom, very few people would so don't try and bend any truths to try and fit.  The symptoms you do have are more than enough to deal with.  I've had BPD for many years yet it was only officially diagnosed by a consultant Psych Dr two yers ago.  Depending on what country you live in BPD is normally only diagnosed officially by a consultant Psych Dr and you have to display some of the symptoms for a number of years so invarably most people will be around 20ish years of age before a firm official diagnosis is made.  As I said, please don't go making asumptions because one person who doesn't know you that well has said you could be BPD, self harm is only one of the many symproms and this is also done by people without personality disorders.  Take your time and learn what you can in your own time, feel free to ask questions - of professionals and sufferers after which you can digest the respones.  I wish you well on this site and I will be watching the BPD community for answers to my long standing questions which sometimes can only be answered by fellow sufferers.  Good luck.  X