what is the definition
How is one diagnosed?
If you Google 'Borderline Personality Disorder online assessment', you can find questionnaire's that will help you get a better idea if it may in fact be what you're dealing with. I got my diagnosis from by therapist by doing an in depth questionnaire face to face. I go through my old college to see a therapist in the Community Psychological Services department because they offer a sliding scale fee. It's a great option for those of us who don't have insurance or the finances to see a therapist in private practice and I've has exceptionally good experiences with everyone I've dealt with at the clinic I go to. I hope this helps answer your question!
You can meet with a Psychologist. I would suggest if you have any "symptoms" write them out. My shrink asked me to write out what symptoms i had and to also be descriptive and give a scenario. That helps them better access the situation. They will probably ask you 100 or so yes or no questions too.