Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
sudden loss of consiousness

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

sudden loss of consiousness

I recently have had something happen that is really scary...I was driving and suddenly my brain went dead and I closed my eyes, opening them again, I believe right away....this went on for about 10 minutes before I was in an accident...it happened again 3 days later, when I was home at my computer.....both times it was about 30 minutes after drinking an ENSURE HIGH PROTEIN SHAKE...I have had multiple meds interactions over the last year or so and have adjusted allbut one , generic paxil, which I am tapering off...I also recently had a gluten reaction, and will be going for tests for this, the Ensure is soy based, gluten and lactose free...I was recently taken off Metformin because of drug issues and my blood suger actually went down....because of severe fatigue this last year, I have been eating whatever would make me feel energized, I am taking a fistfull of suppliments because this is also helping with that issue....could this be an allergic response or something neurological...I hav't had a FU with my Dr yet as the office is closed till after the first of the year....do you have any ideas?
Tags: reaction, combination meds, driving danger, medhelp forums, super body, brain dead symptoms
Hi there and thanks for posting this question.
Feel free to post this question in the Neurology Forum at Medhelp as well.
As far as I know I would agree with you that it makes sense that a different combination of different meds can cause an unexplainable reaction of events. In that case you are feeling some clear consequence i would suggest that you do not drive or operate any heavy machinery.

According to about.com There is more to a loss of consciousness than simply not being awake. States such as coma, persistent vegetative state and normal sleep all involve a loss of consciousness, and all have different degrees of severity. Even in cases as severe as persistent vegetative state, there are rare cases of people waking up. Recent research suggests that some may have a greater degree of retained consciousness than previously recognized. http://neurology.about.com/od/Symptoms/a/Understanding-Brain-Death.htm

However when you experience some symptoms like those you need to take action right away: it could be that some part of your brain just shuts down or you experience a loss consciousness like you are describing.

I would suggest that you take time to meditate and exercise and see if it helps. I have several plans at medhelp that can help you or you can find some of my exercise and meditations in my book Super Body, Super brain