Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Possible cushings disease?

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Possible cushings disease?

Hello my name is Dale. I am 23 years old and since the age of early 21 I developed a very odd case of hypertension. Whereas my old blood pressures where in the 120/75 range suddenly I developed 160/90 blood pressure. Since then things have really gone downhill. I have developed pretty severe anxiety and basically dropped out of school about 1 1/2 years ago. That's not the worst, I have been dealing with severe heart palpitations and heart flutters in the last year, and about 3 months ago I suddenly developed shortness of breath that has stuck with me to this day. I was exercising pretty regularly up until this shortness of breath started and had actually managed to lose some weight, however since the shortness of breath started it has become nearly impossible, although I still manage to ride my bike even with the shortness of breath.

Recently I consulted a Doctor of Osteopathy who performed some saliva tests on me and they showed that my cortisol levels were pretty elevated, im not sure if this consitutes Cushings but was wondering if you guys could comment. Also I should add that even on 3! Count it 3! Blood pressure medications Toprol XL 25, Losartan Potassium 100mg, Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg I am still averaging high blood pressure readings 140-150/80 . When I went to the hospital with the shortness of breath it had climbed to 190/100 and at that time I was on only the HCTZ and the Toprol.

So my cortisol

Morning- 8.7
Midday-8.2
Evening-6.4
Night-4.3

Reference Ranges are supposed to be

Morning- 2.0-10
Midday- 3.0-6.0
Evening- 2.0-4.0
Night- <1.5

Also my DHEA is elevated slightly at 671.1, supposed to be under 644.

So I guess my main symptoms are

1. Shortness of Breath
2. High Blood Pressure
3. Heart Palpitations, flutters.
4. Chest Pain

Dear dantescritic
I agree with rumpled. Although this could be Cushing's syndrome, it could also be other diseases. The fact you had some elevation on salivary cortisol does not complete all the criteria for diagnosis.
You should definitely see a Neuro-endocrinologist.
I had Cushing's disease (which is pitiutary source).

I am not the doctor, but some ideas for you - I would seek out a good one (if possible a neuro-endo at a pituitary center) and get tests on renin, aldosterone and Metanephrines. High blood pressure can signal an issue with renin/aldosterone or be a tumor called a pheochromocytoma.

While it could be Cushing's and Cushing's certainly messes with the blood pressure (I have had friends that had uncontrolled high blood pressure - I had the opposite) and symptoms can vary greatly, you need a wonderful endo and possibly a good cardiologist to work with you. Make sure you get copies of your tests and read up to know that your doctor is competent as time of testing and lab error can be an issue.

The patient forum has information and resources in the health pages. I hope this helps until the doctor comes along.