Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Birads

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Birads

my daughter was just diagnosed with a birads scale of 5.  What does this mean for her?
Hi.
A Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BIRADS) score of 5 means highly suspicious of malignancy.  There is a need to undergo further diagnostic work-ups like doing a biopsy of a suspicious breast mass to have a histologic diagnosis.  
It would be best to go back to her doctor and show the result of mammography for appropriate action.
Good luck.    
How bad is this news, I don't know what to expect or how to help
My daughter is only 26 and the married mother of 3 little children, she's never had any health issues before.  Does that help her at all?  She has never smoked or used alchol or drugs at all.  I know I must sound desperate and I guess i probably am,I just don't know what to do.
Hi.
I understand what you are going through.
Having a healthy lifestyle reduces the risk of having cancer.  The best thing to do now is to have her seen by a doctor so that appropriate action can be undertaken.  There is still no diagnosis of malignancy since no biopsy has been done.  
Do not worry too much.  Stay positive.
We've just recieved the biopsy back and my daughter is diagnosed with stage 2, invasive breast cancer.  It appears to also show in one lmyph node.  What is the survival rate of this type of cancer?  Is it curable?  
First, ask your oncologist.  Second, get a CT scan as soon as possible.  How do you know it is in one lmyph node?  Staging is very important to oncologists so they treat their patients correctly.  Make sure you know what is required to complete her staging.  If the cancer has traveled, which there is no proof as far as you have shared, you need to make sure you follow the path the oncologist recommends.  You also might want to get a second opinion.  Make sure you push through all the hoops to get the blood work, CT scan, additional biopsy if necessary so she can begin treatment as soon as possible.

Remember that a survival rate is a clinical prognosis?  Should she have chemotherapy before surgery, what kind of surgery will be required?

My wife had a biopsy last December, mesectamy in March, CT scan in April, informed she had stage IV cancer three weeks later, began chemotherapy after her liver biopsy,.  Everyone is different, everyone reacts to treatment differently.  

If it is truly stage II then that is GREAT!  But the lmyph node is the big question.  Don't be shy.  Ask questions, expect results in measure, ask for a second opinion if you are not secure but begin treatment and know ALL of your treatment options.

My wife has responded to treatment and might be off chemotherapy in a month.  Her clinical prognosis is not curable.  Stage III and Stage IV are not clinically curable.  If my wife caught her cancer before it got to her liver her clinical prognosis would have been longer.  She is 46.

Good Luck.

Kemal
You are absolutley wrong...

Stage III breast cancer IS curable.
I am SORRY.  I should not have given that incorrect information.  This is a forum and I am not a doctor.  I shouldn't even say stage IV isn't curable.  My wife's oncologist said said her stage IV was not curable but we don't know what the future brings.

Again,
I am VERY SORRY!

Thank you for the correction.

Kemal

Hi, I'm really sorry and to be honest with you, I'm getting tears. I'm wearing her shoes and feel that how she is thinking about her kids. I have gone through this couple of weeks back and mine was FIBROADENOMA. I'm a mother of 3 & 4 yr old kids.

I'll DEFINETLY pray god to give her mental peace and good health. In current conditions we have plenty of treatment options to get red of it, only thing she needs now is MENTAL peace. (Which is little bit difficult right now).

My prayers are always with her.
Mental professional help is a good source of support.  We all have to keep going and doing as much as we can for our loved ones.

Kemal
Hi again.
Your daughter is diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer.  It is very much curable.  You need to discuss her treatment options with her oncologist.  Most likely, she’ll undergo surgery to the breast and axillary lymph node.  Depending on the pathology report, she will need adjuvant systemic therapy in the form chemotherapy and/or hormonal therapy.  Radiation will also be suggested if warranted based on the pathology report.  
Prognosis depends on several factors, including the number of lymph nodes involved, tumor size, histologic grading, patient’s age, hormone receptor status, Her2Neu status, lymphovascular invasion, and proliferation indices.  
Thorough discussion of her treatment options with her oncologist would be beneficial.  
Good luck.
I had a Modified Radical Mastectomy August of 2007, the Path Report indicated Preoperative Diagnosis=Right Breast Cancer. Postoperative Diagnosis=Same.  I had a less than 1 cm IDC lump removed 11 right axillary lymph nodes negative for tumor.  If my results were negative and not requiring chemo or radiation or medicine as post op treatment, why then is the Right Breast Cancer Diagnosis stated postoperative as the same.  I am confused by that, should it not be negative. Also in reading the Path Report under Clinical TNM Staging Form: are several remarks, is there anything I should be looking out for, the surgeon I had was probably the worst possible personality and communicator a person could of had.  I went on the recommendation of my Oncologist in using him for my Mastectomy surgery. He handed me the report, did not go over anything and only said well I removed 11 lymph nodes and they were clear.  This was the total sum of the discussion.  Me being the patient,  without knowledge or the ability to know what questions to ask the doctor, patient is hung out to dry.  I did a followup mammogram about 9 months later and they discovered either a cyst or lymph node after an aultrasound was ordered and told to followup in another 6 months. Of course I think about this surgeon missing a lymph node that should of come out.   the new problem is about same right side on the   at the 2:00 o'clock position.  One thing indicated on the report was currenctly available information does not allow for meaningful surgical staging. Please refer to any resources to help me read the Pathology Report.  I plan to change Oncologist, only because if this is the kind of surgeon he recommend, I have no faith in his decisions regarding my health.
Hi Sue.
In analyzing the pathology report, it is very important to look for the size of the tumor, the number of lymph nodes collected and the number of positive lymph nodes.  The histologic grading should be stated in the pathology report, as well as presence of adverse of any adverse factors like lymphovascular invasion.
These factors should help in making the decision as to the need for further treatment after surgery.
The National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) has an informative website (http://www.nccn.org/) that you can check.
Take care.
is bi rads and stage similar?