Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Breast to Brain METS
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Breast to Brain METS

Hi,

My mother was diagnosed with BC in 2004 at the age of 50. She ended up having a double mastectomy and started chemo. The results of the surgery were that her tumor was 5cm, was NOT in her nodes, but HER2 levels were high. After 6 months of chemo and a PETScan, we found out that her cancer had spread to her pelvic area (in the bones). They started her on hormonal therapy which seemed to have shrunk the cancer. Roughly a year later, her cancer was making an appearance again in the same spot on the bones. They once again changed her treatment. It just so happens that this particular treatment has been keeping my mothers cancer at bay. It hasn't shrunk, but it hasn't grown any either. However, this treatment has a side effect where it can eat away at your jaw bone which is a one in a million shot. Well, my mother is that one in a million. Sure enough they stopped her treatment for 3 months and sent her for another PETscan. The scan came back great from neck down, BUT they saw some "wishy washy" spots on the brain. Needless to say, the next day she went for an MRI and sure enough....cancer. They started her on steroids and radiation right away. Full brain radiation every day for 3 weeks. They say that the tumors happen to be all over her brain with the biggest one being maybe 1 inch. They also say that this is incurable, but their optimistic that these tumors will shrink, but never go away and they will stay dormant for a while before they start making their presence known. Her oncologist was originally surprised because supposedly this isn't the normal pattern of breast cancer. And all I hear from her doctors are "Do you feel ok? You look great." So what does that mean? They haven't given my  mother a "timeline" on her life, but from everything I've researched, her prognosis isn't good. What should I expect?????