Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
How long can a stage IV metastatic go w/out chemo?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

My mom is going to be without chemo for two months due to recovery from pneumonia. In early Jan, her cancer tumor markers were stable but white cell count very low (thus acquiring pneumonia). She's so weak and is still recovering but I"m worried things are advancing.

With her being off of chemo for two months, what can we expect? The oncologist said it is unknown but seeing how advanced her cancer has been, remarkably treatable/stable for 6 years, I can't picture it being a good outcome.
My grandma went off her chemo treatment in July after it started making her too sick to function (3 months into her terminal prognosis). She decided she would rather spend the rest of her life living. She lived 2 months longer than their 3-6 months (estimated with treatment) without any treatment. For her going off chemo made all the difference, it didn't buy her any more time but she got to spend the rest of her time fishing, crabbing, and traveling with family. September she had to start slowing up a bit as the tumors in her liver were growing bigger and she took a nasty fall. November she couldn't be without a bathroom for more than a couple hours because of a tumor on her bladder. December and halfway through January she spent most of the time cuddling and watching movies or cat napping. The week before she passed away it was pretty bad, but she spent 90% of it sleeping.

My grandma had colon cancer and chemo was nasty on her. I don't know much about your mother's health or her reaction to chemo, but my grandma would have gone faster with chemo because it made her fragile body so very ill. For her I can tell you she would definitely have needed a break from chemo to get better from pneumonia even if it hit before her terminal time line.  However, like I said, different cancer and different treatment- but if your mother reacts to chemo even a little like my grandma, and her oncologist thinks that this will help her get over the pneumonia it might be worth trying. Her tumors might grow a bit during the period off chemo, but hopefully they'll stabilize again. Also you never know in a month she might be strong enough to start chemo again.
it just depends...there are different types of stage 5 breast cancer..meaning it depends on the person and on what caused her cancer...was it estrogen based, progesterne based, HER2 etc,...my sister in law was diagnosed a year ago with breat cancer - stage 4, had mastectomy and some lymph nodes removed...she put off chemo & treatment for a month to "tie up loose ends & find the right doctor that she felt good about"...she then had stage 5 and it had metastisized into other areas, bones, neck, back (spine)....they are now giving up on her...I agree with the other reponse...what quality of life does she want for the time she has left? what is more important to her at this pint...trying to prolong it or living it....I would encourage you to look up...and no I am not affiliated with any of these or a seller...it is research I am doing for Sarah...something better for her body so that she can at least have quality time with what she has left....jim humbles miracle mineral supplement (SLOWLY), cats claw tea, marine phytoplankton, essiac tea...natural cancer fighters....the essiac & mms are detoxers though & will cause her to go to the bathroom a lot as it rids the body of the toxins from both the cancer and the chemo / meds....but the phytoplankton along with potassium, high dose Vitamin c, vitamin B 17, & red rasberry and lots of juices...fresh...no meats except fish & salmon, no white breads or pastas...whole grain only and lots of fresh veggies barely steamed or raw...all will help dramatically by boosting the immune system, increasing her nutrition levels, getting rid of toxins, shrinking tumors and helping with overall feelings of well being...also cancer cells thrive without oxygen so get some "cell food" or oxygenated drops for her water and only should drink spring water, distilled water or mineral water...
I pray that she finds comfort and that you both can enjoy each other during this most difficult time....bless you both
@ ducky406....my sypathies on the passing on your loved one...God bless you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It depends on the type of cancer, the histopathological differentiation. Also, on the extent of spread, if it has involved distant organs or not. The outcome is based on this and also on her present physical condition.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for answering. She has metastatic in her bones (4 spine tumors), liver tumors, spleen, possible near her lung. She was doing relatively fine until the pneumonia hit. Now? She's absolutely horrible.

Her legs keep giving out where she can't walk at all.
She has severe leg edema. Diuretics arent' helping with the swelling. In the hospital they did a test where the detected some heart issues. (not sure if she's CHF or not)
She's in severe pain.

She's now off of chemo and zometa now for three months. She's too sick to even get out of the house to take her blood tests because she can't walk/get up the stairs.

What is happening? Her oncologist isn't giving us any answers beyond--take her to the ER. And now both parents are blaming me for taking her to the doc in Jan for her pneumonia. They are stating she was fine before pneumonia. She came home first week of Feb and all of this started. (which isn't true, her legs gave out a week prior to admitting to the ER).

I just don't understand what is happening.
I have my answer. She passed April 14th.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Sorry mam...