Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

I has a lumpectomy and lymph nodes surgery last week, the surgeon removed 16 lymph nodes and 3 out of 16 was cancer. My margins were clear, the questions I am asking I don't want to go through with any chemotheraphy treatment at this time. What are the risk I am facing, I have had all the test done prior to my surgery from Ct scan to bone scan and even the Muga scan. all these test came back indicating that no cancer cell had spread.I am willing to do radiation what do I do now?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Since you have 3 of 16 lymph nodes positive for cancer, that makes the stage of your disease 2A at the very least.  If we assume a best case scenario (your cancer is stage 2A), you have around 71.5% chance of surviving in ten years, if no chemotherapy is done.  With chemotherapy, your chances of surviving in ten years improves to about 81.5%.  In terms of cancer recurrence, you have approximately 42% chance of relapse within ten years if no chemotherapy is done.  With chemotherapy, the chances of the cancer recurring within 10 years goes down to 22.9%.  I think the statistics are clear that it would be better for you to undergo chemotherapy as this will greatly improve the outcome of your illness.  

The fact that the operative margins are clear does not always indicate that the cancer has not yet spread beyond those margins.  On the contrary, having three of your lymph nodes testing positive for cancer implies that the cancer has indeed spread out of your breast and into those nodes (regional metastases), and maybe even beyond.  So it really is imperative that you have chemotherapy at this point.
My friend just told me that she has Stage 3 Ductal carcinoma. I have read up on this and know how serious it is and I want to know what is the right and wrong thing to say to her. We live far from each other and I don't know that I can do to help her. If you have anything that can help me help her please give some advice.
Thank you!
70 y.o. female with metastatic ductal carcinoma with 11/15 nodes affected, Grade III, with comorbidities of DM, HTN, and Hx:stroke-05/2013, no POC yet, what kind of prognosis or what are we looking at? From above, looks like chemo? what about reverse hormone tx?