Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Suitability of lipodox for treatment of metastatic breast cancer to the...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Suitability of lipodox for treatment of metastatic breast cancer to the brain

How effective is the drug Lipodox in treating metastatic brain lesions.. Cancer originated in the breast.. Mastectomy and axilla clearance done..3 spots in brain growing marginally inspite of chemo and gamma knife surgery.. Rest of the body is clear.
Tags: Lipodox
Lipo-Dox (pegylated liposomal doxorubicin) has been used for ovarian cancer, AIDS-related Kaposi sarcoma, and multiple myloma.

A Phase II clinical trial was undertaken to test its effectiveness in brain metastases from breast cancer, but it was discontinued due to low enrollment.

You might want to post your question in the Chemotherapy Expert Forum, to see what  anyone there knows about its possible use for BC brain mets.

Another drug, Temodar, has shown some promise with brain tumors, but I don't know if this includes  breast cancer that has metastasized  to the brain.

Best wishes...
p.s. There does not seem to have been any recent activity in either the Chemotherapy Expert Forum or the Cancer Expert Forum.  You might try the Breast Cancer Expert Forum.
my wife57yrs, is diagonosed stage 4 breast metastases.she took 18chemos from april2008 to aug 2009.with combination of paclitaxel and gemcitabin.from aug 2009 till mar 2010 she was on temaxifen 20mg tab.
on review of PET scan she had hepatic metastatses( increse in size of lessionsin liver).complete resolution in other ares
our oncologist has started chemo with lipodox 60mg in 1st week of apr2010.she ia due for 2nd chemo after 21 days.
my oncologist would add capacitabin from 2nd cycle onwards along with lipodox.
i would like to know whether treatment is in the right direction.
since on this bc 3&4 forum you hardly ever get a response back from those who asked a question, I thought I would say 'thank you' to you instead. KAT
Thank you for the thank you!

bb
I am sorry that your wife is dealing with such a serious breast cancer.

However, this is a community forum where most of the members are not medical professionals, and probably would not have the expertise needed to answer your question.

Unfortunately, the Chemotherapy Expert Forum has not been active for several months.
That leaves the Breast Cancer Expert Forum where you might post your question, but they usually will not give medical advice regarding any specific case. You will most likely be advised that you need to discuss her tx plan with your wife's own oncologist, or if both you and she have doubts, perhaps you could arrange a second opinion oncologist consult for her..

Best wishes to both  you and your wife...