Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
What now?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

What now?

I was diagnosed with Breast cancer stage 4 with mets to bones, lung and central chest in Dec of 2007; I have been doing chemo for the last almost 3 yrs along with the avastin;  we have cleared the chest and the lung and the right breast;  we have stabilized 7 of the 9 spots in the bones;  I now have 2 hot spots left after doing a bone scan;  we will continue the arimidex and the doxil for another month after which we will try something else.  I thought adreamyacin and doxorubicin were the 2 best drugs around for fighting this cancer and I have used both of them;  What do you think we will try next?
Dear Debb, do you really think anyone of us would know better than your oncologist what he/he and you, will try next? And if he doesn't know and you don't know, then how can we possibly even begin to guess? It also depends on what you can tolerate, and some chemo may work for one patient and not another, and one cancer but not all of the places the cancer has spread to, it's really a lot trial and error in cancer treatment.

I also have stage 4 bc, and was first diagnosed around the same time as you. Some treatments worked better than others, and some I could not tolerate, and according to one doctor I should be dead, but I feel good but my tumor markers are just now beginning to go up again, and I also have no clue, even less than you, what's next. Katrin
Debb,
I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. Wow have you been through the wringer! I don't have an answer but I sure do wish you all the best.
I don't want you to think I am that stupid - I thought maybe somebody that has been where I have gone might have an idea what other drugs are out there - I have not asked my doc yet what we will use....................but will be seeing her next week and we will discuss what we will use!

Thank you to Susan Young for the well wishes.........................I was more or less airing my thoughts.
Sorry for being so harsh; that was less about you than perhaps my own frustrations?
The last chemo I tried was adriamycin and it worked beautifully for many months.

KAT
Soeey, not adriamycin, but abraxane. Now my doctor wants me to try a brand new one, called ixabepilone.