Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
breast cancer grade 3

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

breast cancer grade 3

my wife has been diagnosed with idc grade 3 breast cancer and have undergone total mastectomy.The doctors are advising chemotherapy along with radiation.How do we test that the cancer have been spread to other parts of the body.her ca is normal.all her blood reports are also normal.should i go for chemoterapy.what do you mean by grade 3.after chemotherapy is there any chance of recurrence.what is the survival rate.her er and pr is negative.she is 40 years of age.please advice me

thanks

regards

johnson
Pathologists closely examine the cells for different characteristics and score them accordingly. From the total of these scores the Grade is determined. Grade 3 which is the highest grade represents poorly differentiated cells, cells that do not appear normal and multiplly in a more aggressive manner. This would certainly call for the recommendation of Chemotherapy + Radiation as a treatment regime. As far as tests to determine metastises; this varies with the individual Oncologist. Often various scans are done to determine if the cancer has invaded other parts of the body. Some however don't do routine scans as there is no proof that metatisis discovered by scan affords any advantage over discovery by the appearance of symptoms and does not increase survival. There is always the possibility of recurrance and this can occur many years after treatment. ER/PR neg. cancers are said to be a more aggressive type as indicated by the Grade assigned in your wife's case. I would advise that she follow all the recommended treatment to afford the best survival rate and the least chance of recurrance.   Kindest regards to you both.