Breast Cancer Community
20 Year Old Fibroadenoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

20 Year Old Fibroadenoma

I am 20 years old and regularly give myself self-breast exams, after my boyfriend lost his mother to breast cancer. I noticed a lump before my period and figured it would go away after my period, however it's been 2 1/2 weeks since my period, and the lump is still there. I've scheduled an appointment with my obgyn for this upcoming week, but have been doing some research of my own until then.

The lump is very hard, almost like a bone. It's in my left breast, just behind and to the right of my nipple. It isn't painful at all, and feels somewhat jagged. I'm fairly sure it's fibroadenoma (though I won't know for sure until I visit the doctor) but with there being so little research in the area of younger women and breast cancer, I'm wondering the statistic of fibroadenomas that are cancerous.

Like I mentioned, I'm 20 years old and very healthy. I'm active, I'm a vegetarian, I don't drink or smoke, and I try to maintain and very healthy and natural lifestyle. All the same, I'm really scared. I've felt lumps before, and have had cysts, and I know that this isn't like that. I'm terrified of there being something terribly wrong, after seeing what my boyfriend had to go through with his mom. Thanks in advance.
1 Comment

Fibroadenomas which are benign breast tumors, are commonly diagnosed in young women and are associated with a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer according to studies done in this area. It has been found that breast cancer risk is increased in those patients with fibroadenomas who have complex fibroadenomas, proliferative disease, or a family history of breast cancer.

However, before a clear diagnosis is made by the doctor, it will be difficult to say what this is with the information you have provided. It is best to be aware at all times and I can understand that you must be anxious. Nevertheless, its is best to stay patient and await results.

The level of awareness you demonstrated here is appreciable.

Let us know if you have any other queries and keep us posted on your health.

Regards.