Breast Cancer Community
3 mammograms in 9 years w/calcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

In 2004 my mammogram came back with calcifications and after a needle biopsy atypical lobular hyperplasia was present. I also had a lump which always came back as clear in ultrasound. Surgical biopsy suggested and done which disclosed the lump was LCIS and atypical hyperplasia. The calcifications were just atypical ductal and lobular hyperplasia. In 2011 calcifications again surgical biopsy done and came back as microscopic focus of equivocal atypical lobular hyperplasia and no carcinoma identified. Now 2013 more calcifications fewer than in 2011 mammogram and some near the surgical scar. What would be the course of treatment here another biopsy, wait for the next mammogram? Is it possible I am just prone to getting calcifications? Unfortunately the surgeon who did the surgey in 2011 did not order a follow up mammogram so they are not sure if these are left over from 2011. I am really torn on what to do.
Am I to understand that you have only had biopsies in the past for all of these findings ??? If so I don't quite see why the areas were not surgically removed rather than just biopsied. In either event I'm also wondering why you haven't see an Oncologist in all these years. It wouldn't ordinarily be the Surgeon who would order follow-ups but the Oncologist. I suggest that you see a Breast Specialist if nothing except the biopsies has been done regarding the various findings. Anything new or different either by symptom (lump) or by film should always be investigated and that is usually by biopsy first and then surgical removal when the findings are such as you have described here. I certainly wouldn't be waiting .... seems that you have done quite enough of that since 2004. Often the Radiologists will recommend follow-ups in such cases also ... if not I hope you have been having at least yearly Mammograms since 2004 ... you are entitled to request this from your Primary Care Physician or they are usually done with or without an order by the Hospital or where ever you are having your films.  A second opinion from another Surgeon might also be in order.  Regards ...
I guess maybe I worded it wrong but the 2 surgical excisions I guess is the correct term were done and the area was removed until the margins looked good,whatever that means. I saw an oncologist for 5 years and had an MRI plus mammograms every year during that period. The oncologist suggested taking tamoxifen or reloxifene. If I had cancer I would have thought more about doing that. I still get mammograms as this is how these new calcifications were found. Every time these calcifications show up they are in the same exact spot. How many times can they biopsy the same spot? Every time it's always the same result atypical hyperplasia. I have not talked to surgeon on this newest occurance. I was referred by my Primary care doctor an Internest to Interventional Radiology for a stereotactic biopsy but not sure if that is what I want to do or not. The first needle biopsy they suggested a surgical excision anyway so I may just opt for surgery or have another mammogram in maybe 6 months to see if there is a change. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.    
Thats good ... sorry I misunderstood about the biopsy/ excision issue. You say "if you had cancer" . these findings are sometimes referred to as Pre-cancerous and the recommendation of Tamoxifen or a similar drug has been proven to prevent the recurrence of the condition as well as the ocurrence of a cancer. IF you don't mind the invasive procedure then it wouldn't be illadvised to go ahead with the excision without the biopsy but that would be a personal decision if the Surgeon was agreeable. If you are again advised to take Tamoxifen it might be a good idea to do that too. It's usefulness has been proven in recent years as a role in prevention.  Regards ...