Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy ADH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy ADH

I recently had 2 biopsies both Stereotactic biopsy and Fine needle aspiration for some calficatins and two cysts. The cysts turned out fine and were liquid and popped when they went to drain them. On the califications they took samples. I just got the report and now I am scheduled for a (Open) Excisional biopsy. The report states: Sections show needle core biopsies of fibrofatty breast tissue. There are areas of sclerosing adenosis. There are some dilated ducts present/small cysts. Intraluminal microcalification is noted. There is coumnar cell alteration present. There is a small focus of atypical ductual hyperplasia present. Is this something for me to be worried about? Does this put me at a higher risk level for breast cancer? I know I am probably overanalyzing this but it is very bothersome. I am scheduled for the (Open) Excisional biopsy next month.
I am sure your doctor has already told you that "Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia" isn't cancer.It simply describes an increased accumulation of abnormal cells in a breast duct.
Over the course of your lifetime, if the atypical hyperplasia cells keep dividing and become more abnormal, your condition may be reclassified as carcinoma in situ (DCIS)or noninvasive breast cancer.
Your Surgeon recommended an excisional biopsy,because he/she wants to make sure that no malignant cells are present,that may have been missed by the original biopsy.
In my opinion, your Surgeon is taking the proper steps dealing with your situation.Once the entire area of concern is removed,then regular screening and careful consideration of medications and other strategies to reduce breast cancer risk could  be recommended.
Because you were diagnosed with ADH,please make sure you discuss with your doctor,if you are on any kind of HRT,because this therapy could be a risk factor for breast cancer.
Best wishes and hoping that all goes well for you....
Thank you for responding, I am on Vivelle Dot 1mg patch (HRT) and the surgeon is aware of it but stated that I should not be on it longer than 5 years. She doesnt seem to concerned with it. I have been reading that with ADH it puts you at a higher risk to get breast cancer in the future, so would they put be on something to help prevent or just keep doing the mammograms?
You are welcome..
After your surgery,I would advise you to consult an Oncologist who will let you know what type of treatment you'll be needing,aside regular mammogram screening.
Depending on the pathology report on the tissue removed, hormone therapy,such as Tamoxifen or other similar drugs,(if your ER/PR status is positive) is often recommended..If your doctor advises you to take an anti estrogen medication,please be aware that Hormone Replacement Therapy and Tamoxifen are contraindicated ,because HRT (Estrogen) is a female hormone that can fuel the growth of cancerous cells,while Tamoxifen blocks the actions of estrogen and is used to treat and prevent some types of pre-cancer condition or breast cancer.I am sure your Oncologist would be your best source of information regarding treatments.
All the best to you...