Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy and breast Implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy and breast Implant

Hi, after a mammogram I was told that I have  calcification on my right breast and  I need a biopsy to find out how serious this is.  I have breast implant above my muscle tissue. Is my implant in a great risk to be puncture? would it be necessary to remove the implant? Thank you for your input.
Tags: risk
Hi,I have added some information for you about the biopsy that you might have, considering the fact that you have breast implants.
                            -------------------------------------------------------
Vacuum-assisted biopsy (brand names, Mammotome or MIBB) allows physicians to perform accurate breast biopsies on women with breast implants. Prior to the advent of vacuum-assisted biopsy, women with implants typically had to undergo open surgical biopsy if breast cancer was suspected.

Unlike surgical biopsy, vacuum-assisted biopsy is a percutaneous ("through the skin") procedure. Vacuum-assisted biopsy relies on stereotactic mammography or ultrasound imaging for guidance. Stereotactic mammography involves using computers to pinpoint the exact location of a breast mass based on mammograms (x-rays) taken from two different angles. The computer coordinates will help the physician to guide the needle to the correct area in the breast. With ultrasound, the radiologist or surgeon will watch the needle on the ultrasound monitor to help guide it to the area of concern.

The precision and directional abilities of vacuum-assisted biopsy make it the most viable percutaenous ("through the skin") biopsy option for women with breast implants.

Vacuum-assisted breast biopsy provides a safer approach for women with implants. Unlike core needle biopsy, the vacuum-assisted biopsy probe is inserted just once into the breast through a small nick in the skin. Multiple tissue samples may be taken by rotating the sampling needle aperture (opening) and using vacuum assistance. The placement of the vacuum-assisted biopsy needle is carefully manually positioned between the implant and breast abnormality.
               ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not long ago a new member posted the exact same question as yours.She was very concerned about the implant being punctured and was very scared about the whole procedure.After her biopsy was done,she was very nice to let us know that she had felt almost no pain at all and that everything went very smoothly and her implants were not damaged in any way.I hope that you will discuss this matter with your radiologist or surgeon to make sure that you will have a "Vacuum assisted biopsy"
(brand names Mammotome or MIBB)  Best wishes and good Luck.
A related discussion, biopsy with breasts implants was started.