Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy results benign, surgeon still wants to remove

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hi All,

I had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy done lasat t week..  The results came back benign.  As fibrocystic breast changes.  The surgeon told me that if it cam back as anything other than Fibroadenoma, then he would remove.  He really scared me today, as he said he is going to remove the mass even though it is benigh. He said that sometimes the biopysy misses a cancer........I had the biopsy at a breast center, highly regarded in the communtiy.  What are the chances that they missed something?  It is 1.7 cm in length.....
Thanks.
You don't state your age but Fibroadenomas are often removed in women of a certain age. They can increase in size and often they are removed for this reason or if they cause a great deal of discomfort. I doubt that the biopsy missed anything but I don't think removal is out of the question. If you are having serious doubts then you are entitled to a second opinion so don't hesitate to consult another Surgeon to review your reports.    Regards ....
Thank you for the response.  I am 45.  The Biopsy showed Fibrocystic Changes.  It did not show Fibroadenoma.  The Surgeon said if it comes back anything other than Fibroadenoma, then it is coming out.  I am not doubting the Surgeon, just scared, as the Biopsy was negative..  I think he is being extremely careful, and not leaving any percent (however minute to chance).
Just FYI - I had DCIS on the right and a surgical biopsy and eventually a partial masectomy following a mammogram, needle core biopsy and ultrasound that all came out clear on inconclusive..  I then ask for an MRI on the left and was told I had atypical hyperplasia.  Had a llumpectomy on the left and path following surgery came back DCIS on the left also.