Breast Cancer Community
Breast Biopsy Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Biopsy Pain

I am severely scared of needles and my first scheduled breast biopsy I had a panic attack and couldn't continue.  The following week I went in for the biopsy.  I had 2 spots that had to get samples.  The first spot was painful, but tolerable.  We took a 40 minute break in between the two biopsies (only supposed to be 10 minutes).  When we started on the second one, it wasn't as bad as the first and I thought oh good, the numbing meds are working better.  Then all of the sudden it felt like a saw was piercing through my breast.  It was so painful. I screamed out and the dr. continued to do it 5 more times, counting down each time.  I have never felt pain like that and I've had 2 kids through natural childbirth.  It's now 3 days after the procedure and while I don't have constant pain, if I move a certain way I feel that sharp cutting pain again. It feels like the tissue has been put through a meat grinder and then through a strainer.  My husband feels that, because of the say I screamed out, that the dr. hit a nerve.  If this is the case, what are the consequences?  I am so discouraged and feel violated.  I'm scared that serious damage has been done or that I'll have to go through this horrible experience again.  I've read that this procedure should be pain free and that makes me so angry!  Has anyone else had nerve damage as a result of a breast biopsy?
1 Comment
In light of your problem (fear of needles) you should ask for some type of medication to relax you if you need to undergo another procedure. Now about the possible nerve damage ... that could very well have happened and unfortunate as it is, it's something that rarely can be avoided. I had considerable nerve involvement following my surgery but it gradually disappeared. Nerves do recover when they are "insulted" so hang in there and don't forget to discuss your fears with whomever is treating you in the future. I would NEVER say that a biopsy will be painless ..... that isn't always true but usually like you say the first attempt was tolerable. Of course everyone is different and has a different response to pain. Just be sure everyone involved is aware of yours if there is ever a next time.  Regards...