Breast Cancer Community
Breast Hematoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Hematoma

When a lemon-sized hematoma was left in my breast after a biopsy that revealed I had breast cancer, the radiation oncologist was very concerned about how long it was left there.  Can hematomas encourage cancer growth if left in the breast.?  Do the enzymes that come to break down the hematoma have carcinogenic properties?
I think your term "left there" is not quite correct. It isn't unusual at all that there will be some bleeding following most types of biopsies. A hematoma is NEVER "left there" intentionally; it develops after the procedure. I am not aware that a hematoma can encourage cancer growth. I'm also not familiar with the breakdown of a hematoma .... they are usually absorbed but this may take a considerable amount of time. Am I to understand that you are having Radiation before you have surgery to remove the area of cancer in the breast? You don't state what the biopsy revealed except that it was cancer .... OR what type of surgery you will be having as your treatment.    Regards ....
Avatar n tn
You are right; "left there" was the wrong way to word it.  It occurred after the surgery and so I wasn't healing.  It was bruised and hard to the touch.  The followup surgery to get clean margins addressed the hematoma, also, and there was no visible bruising at all afterward.
  You answered my question, though.  Thank you.
A related discussion, hematoma and surgery was started.