Breast Cancer Community
Breast Pain and Discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Pain and Discharge

I am a 35 year-old female.  I do not smoke or drink.  For the past 2 months I have had this horrible pain in my left breast.  It comes and goes and often is not in the same place each time that it comes back.  Two days ago, my breast hurt really bad so I squeezed my nipple and out came some very thick, white discharge.  I waited a couple of hours and then squeezed it again.  Again more came out but not as much as the first time.  The pain is now in my nipple area and it is more annoying than anything.  I am not sure if by squeezing it, that it is making the pain worse.  I have taken a couple of evening of primrose oil pills today.  I have also taken some Advil and that has helped some.  From time to time, I also experience clear fluid coming out of my right breast.  To be honest, since I stopped squeezing it, there has not been anything coming out of my right breast since.  Two questions:  
1)  How common is white, thick discharge and what does it "normally" mean?
2)  Do you feel that this is something urgent that I should be going to my GYN for?

Thank you!
Avatar n tn
Also, I forgot to mention.... I feel no lumps or bumps.  I am very much a regular self examiner and everything seems to feel normal.  Also, from time to time, the pain is in my left arm pit and in my left arm.

Thanks!!

Nipple discharge on squeezing the breasts is common and can occur in either one or both breasts.

It is not something you need to worry about. The nipple discharge is due to stimulation while squeezing the breasts.

For the pain, you could continue taking the pain relief medications for a few days. Also try some warm compresses and breast massage.

If the symptoms still persist, it would be advisable to get a proper clinical examination done by a doctor and get the relevant investigations done.

The pain could be due to a muscle pull or sprain etc.

Do let us know about your progress and keep us posted.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.