Breast Cancer Community
Cerb-B2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Cerb-B2

My mother has just received a breast bipsy result which says strongly positive Cerb-B2 with score level 3 - does that mean she needs a breast cancer? What is Cerb-B2 and is it a cancer result?

thanks
1 Comment
I think the first thing to settle here is regarding the anatomic histopath diagnosis.  The pathologist should tell from the appearance of the biopsy if the sample is consistent or not with breast cancer.  The cERBB2 test is just a prognosticator and indicator of behavior of the cancer and response to certain form of treatment.  This is a protein found in cells that increases the likelihood of the cancer being aggressive and hence, a faster course.  Special drugs can be give for cERBB2 positive cancers such as Herceptin or Tykerb.

However, as I have mentioned, the diagnosis of cancer is not dependent on this test.  It is primarily dependent on the pathologist's anatomic diagnosis and I believe you should ask your doctor about this.

Regards.