Breast Cancer Community
Crusted Nipples (yeast infection?)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Crusted Nipples (yeast infection?)

Hi, okay - my nipple situation started in late july they were very painful to the touch and itchy and a little crusted looking. i went to the doctor and i was told it was celluitis so i went on antibiotics for 10 days. a couple weeks later it was still there (not as painful and no discharge ever) i went to the doctor again and they took a sample of the discharge they could get from squeezing the nipple (the right one was worse) the results came back as a mild case of staph infection. took antibiotics for another 10 days. went back 2 weeks later for a re-check (the previous doctors were not obgyns - they were general medicine.) i went to a obgyn because my nipples are no longer painful just crusted looking and the ducts are a little whiteish..and it seemed to be worse around my period.... she said it was a case of nipple infection and to put a cream on it...i forget the name she prescribed..and she said wear cotton bras (which i just started doing because i didnt own any) went back a week later and she said put the cream on again for another week..did that and wore the cotton bras and washed them daily in hot water. went back again a week later and she said there was much improvement. but this was 2 weeks ago and the ducts still look whiteish to me. and the right nipple still looks crusted sometimes..and other times it doesnt. the obgyn said it was most likely the yeast infection the whole time (candiasis) and since it was untreated for so long it is chronic and its going to take some time for it to properly heal. does this sound normal? should i be concerned? ive never had any discharge, no rash..it is a little warm to the touch sometimes but thats about it...oh and the crusted whiteish looking right nipple. if the yeast infection did go without the proper treatment for some time would it take a lot longer to heal? my biggest concern is that is the inflammatory breast cancer but ive read the symptoms on that and mine are different....Also, could the antibiotics have made it worse? i am currently on antibiotics now because of a bad cold...and, my mother informed me that when she used to have her period she ALWAYS had a vaginal yeast infection...could i be having the same thing but its with my nipples? the doctor also said my ducts could have clogged but ive never breast feed before...help!!!
LISTEN>>>>> Go to ANOTHER doctor!!! Get checked out further!! Anything like that is not normal!!!  I have never heard of yeast infection on nipples!!! Would you please go to someone else??!! Demand that they check for cancer!! PLEASE!!!  You don't have to have all the symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer to have it. You will feel alot better, to go somewhere else!!
Hey, thanks for your comment. There actually is such a thing as yeast infection for the nipples...its pretty common. weird i know..if you do a little research you will find that its called Candidiasis, commonly called yeast infection or thrush, is a fungal infection - Candida (also called yeast, monilla or thrush) is a fungus that thrives in warm, dark, moist environments, such as the mucus membranes of the mouth and vagina, the diaper area, skin folds, bra pads, and on persistently wet nipples.

Suspect candida as the cause of your sore nipples if:

Your nipples are extremely sore, burning, itching, red, or blistery.
You experience shooting pains in your breasts during or just after feeding (especially during your milk ejection reflex).
The usual remedies for sore nipples aren't working
Yeast infections can be very persistent. Use the full course of medication suggested by your doctor, and continue using the home remedies for several weeks so that the infection will not reoccur.

Hi there

I have similar symptoms - have a tickly itch only in one nipple/areola. It feels like it is INSIDE the breast, not on the surface. Is that what you had? Have your symptoms gone with the antifungal treatment?

It seems to get worse after a warm shower or bath - particularly after baths

Please update me if you can.