DCIS: Clear margin
At the third annual mammogram, I am diagnosed with DCIS in my left breast in September after the stereotactic biopsy. Before Lumpectomy, MRI showed a lots of abnormalities in both breasts, so I had MRI guided biopsy. The result was fibrocystic changes.
Then I had lumpectomy only for one area of DCIS in my left. The post surgery path report says: Residual ductal calcinoma in situ (I think, debri from stereotactic biopsy), with a comment of: Adjacent to the previous biopsy site, there is a 3mm focus of residual DCIS. The closest margin to the DCIS is inferior margin by 2mm and all other margins are clear by greater than 1cm.
My surgeon said that surgical part of treatment is all done, no excision needed, but I have to take 6-week of radiation therapy. I will start it probably in two weeks. Then, maybe Tamoxifen. But my oncologist doesn't seem pushing me for Tamoxifen as much as my surgeon does.
I am Asian, 44 years old, Estrogen: Positive, 100%, Strong, Progesterone: Positive, 100%, Variable, Weak to Strong. No family history of breast cancer.
Is one area of 2mm truly clear margin?
Thank you!
A margin of at least 1mm is considered "clear" in DCIS but 1cm is preferred. You stated that one margin was 2mm so that would be considered "clear". Radiation is the standard recommendation following lumpectomy for DCIS and with you ER + at 100% I would think you will be advised to take Tamoxifen for the recommended 5 years.  Regards .....
Thank you for your comment. I feel better now. I should take time to consider Tamoxifen since it won't start after 6-week radiation therapy.