Breast Cancer Community
Dense fibroglandular (?) breast tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Dense fibroglandular (?) breast tissue

I went for my yearly mammogram this week and was called back because of dense tissue in both breasts but particulary in the left one.  I don't understand why I am getting this at age 63.  My doctor wants to do an ultrasound to see behind the tissue.  Is that right?  ?She says they don't suspect anything , they just want to see.  I am a nervous bundle of nerves.  I also have mild OCD, which does not help.

HELP!!
Although it's unusual that mammograms show dense breasts tissue as a woman ages,it's not unheard of that some post-menopausal women do have dense breasts.I believe that there is no cause for panic.The interpretation of the level of breast density can vary from doctor to doctor, or from one mammogram machine from the other.
By the way, if you are on hormone replacement therapy,it will  increase breast density and you may want to discuss in depth with your doctor to explore other options.
Because you have dense breasts,which makes mammogram readings more difficult,your Doctor is being cautious by recommending an Ultrasound because more information is needed just to make sure.Since your doctor told you that nothing suspicious was detected on your mammogram,then hopefully the Ultrasound test will show the same thing.
If this is the case,your doctor will let you know when a follow-up is needed to make sure that no changes have occurred.
Please let us know the results of your Ultrasound ...In the meantime I wish you all the best!
Zouzi is absoluely right---fibroglandular tissue is what breasts are made up of. Generally, older women have less dense breasts, but not always---I'm 64 and have dense breasts and so do several women in my age group that I know personally. Because I have most of the other symptoms of menopause (saggy, wrinkley skin, a little belly fat, a droopy butt, horrid hot flashes, etc.) my doctor teases me and she says everything is aging on me BUT my boobs!
All it means is that to be safe, your doctor what's another test to confirm nothing was hidden from the radiologist in the dense tissue. Be glad that nothing suspicious was found and try not to worry about the US. We all know waiting for the final results is hard, but try not to dwell on it or let it bother you too much.I'm also hoping the US is negative and you'll have peace of mind knowing all is well.
Hugs,
nc
Had my compression mammogram on left breast yesterday as well as a ultrasound.  Everything is FINE.  I am so Grateful!!!!!  There was a bit of density on the left breast but nothing wrong.
Thank you very much for your comforting reply.  As I wrote to Zouzi, I had my tests done yesterday and everthing is fine.  What a huge relief!!!!
Hi again and thank you so much for sharing this wonderful news!
Congratulations!
Wishing you health for a very long time to come! :)
Thank you so much!
Great news---now you can change your user name! LOL :o) Seriously, it's always nice to hear back and that the new is good. We're all happy for you and hope you continue to get benign results long into the future! Take care and be well.
Hugs,
nc
hahaha   will immediately change my name!
How about "serenitynow"?? LOL  

♪♫♪♫♪ nc and I doing the happy dance with you!! ♪♫♪♫♪

LOVE that one, zouzi!!! There are lots to choose from : peaceofmind,
happyhappyjoyjoy, theboobsaregood, negatorygoodbuddy, etc! :o)