Excisional biopsy
Hi. I'm scheduled for an excisional biopsy this week.  I have had a fine needle biopsy and the pathology showed a proliferative lesion.  The report recommends either a stereo biopsy or conservative excisional biopsy.  The doctor explained that it doesn't not appear cancerous, but recommends an excisional biopsy so that I don't have to keep having additional testing or worry about this area.  I'm already freaking out about doing this.  I know that there are women going through far worse and here I am stressing about this, but I am.  I'm already a really anxious person and am stressing if I am selecting the right surgeon, if this is really necessary compared to the risks, etc.  I've done a lot of reading but am not finding as much information to feel like I'm informed.  Please share experiences.  Thanks.
Well... if you want to know the nature of the lesion, only a pathology finding from a biopsy could tell you that. So, in that sense, a biopsy is necessary.
I've had both surgical/ excisional and stereotactic/ needle biopsies. So, I could tell you about both... but since you ask about the surgical procedure, I can honestly say that mine wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

I was fully sedated for the duration of the procedure, which lasted about a half an hour. Soon after I awoke, I was off on my way along with instructions to follow and a prescription for Vicodin. I was left with an overall groggy feeling for the remainder of the day due to the after effects of the sedative. Anyway, I didn't need to use the Vicodin script. Pain thresholds and discomfort levels vary and, my pain was rather minimal. On a scale of 1-10, I’d say that my pain level was probably at a 4. If anything, I felt more soreness and sensitivity than true pain... but, that was easily managed with extra-strength Tylenol. Ice packs worked wonders for reducing the swelling and overall achyness. And, there was a significant amount of bruising... it was kinda scary to look at. But, it didn’t take long for the bruising to disappear along with the swelling and achy feeling. As a precautionary measure, I was instructed to avoid heavy lifting and getting into hot tubs. Sleeping, I'd say, presented the major challenge as I'm unaccustomed to sleeping on my back... but, I somehow managed it.
Complete healing took a couple of weeks. And, I was left with a fine, inch and a half, hairline scar... which is now, very faint and barely visible.

All in all, I would say that the toughest part of the entire ordeal was the waiting period to hear the pathology results. I received mine in about 3 days and thankfully, it returned with benign findings... as I'm hoping that yours will. Take care... good luck with the biopsy and if you want more input/ advice or just need some emotional support with this, please feel free to PM me.

"i"
correction: the procedure lasted approximately 1 and a half hours. Total time in the out-patient facility (arrival 'til departure)... about 4 hours.