Breast Cancer Community
Fibroadenoma biopises
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fibroadenoma biopises

Have had my breast biopsies and now have some answers, too late for me but...fibroadenomas: I was finally told that the reason the surgeons recommend wait and see approach is that under 1 cm in size, the biopsies are so inaccurate (usually miss the tumor) they give false negatives. So everyone must still "wait and see" and repeat diagnostics of some type. If a lumpectomy is done, there will definitely accurate tumor tissue obtained to give a definite diagnosis.
1 Comment
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
This is not always the case ... the wait and see. Biopsies are often done under the guidance of some type of imagery; usually Mammography. If a biopsy is done in Surgery then before the procedure the site is checked and a wire is placed to locate the area after the pt. is taken to Surgery. In the case of Fibroadenomas, they are often just left alone unless they are terribly large or are causing considerable discomfort. Many successful biopsies are done on findings that are much smaller than 1cm. Anything that can be identified by film or some type of imagery can be biopsied. If you are ever in doubt then a second opinion is definitely the way to go. Regards ....
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank