Breast Cancer Community
Fibrocystic Changes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Fibrocystic Changes

During a recent doctor's visit, my doctor decided to refer me for an ultrasound. My referral says, "non palpable masses" "fibrocystic chnages" and "routine baseline evaluation". I saw this doctor 6 days before beginning my menstrual cycle. She did not mention coming back after my cycle had come and gone to review the fibrocystic changes. She also didn't refer me for a mammogram. I am 26 years of age with no family history of cancer or fibrocystic breast disease. Is referring a patient my age for this "routine ultrasound" common? I have not been able to find one single person in the same situation in one month of searching.
-6 Comments

Are you having any symptoms? Did you notice any abnormal features on breast self examination like a breast lump, skin changes or nipple discharge?

Do you have any lumpiness, tenderness, or pain in your breasts in relation to your menstrual cycles?

A mammogram is usually not done in young females as it is not able to pick up any lesions due to the increased density of breast tissue in females less than 40 years of age.

A routine ultrasound is not a common thing, and you should talk to your doctor about the reason for asking to get it done.

You could also take a second opinion from the same doctor or a different doctor once your menstrual cycle is over.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
I am having no symptoms or irregular bumps, discharges colorings, or feelings. I went in for a basic physical. My breasts are tender prior to my cycle, but never pain beyond a 1 on a scale from 1-10. My breasts are generally a bit lumpy and full prior to my cycle, but my doc specifically said- everything was uniform and "moved with her". The ultrasound seems so strange to me. I scheduled it, because I am so scared. There seems like no reason for it but she was so intent on me going I feel afraid not to.

You should not panic and now that you have made up your mind and also because your doctor has advised for one it would be best to get it done.

It would help to rule out any gross lesions such as any cysts or mass lesions.

Let us know if you have any other doubts.

Regards.