Breast Cancer Community
First Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

First Mammogram

I am 41 years old and had my first mammogram on 2/8/07. I received a call a week later saying that I was to come back for further testing. I was told that I have dense breasts. They want to do a spot compression and a sonogram on the right breast. When I asked why, the person said that the right breast was more dense and they cannot see anything. Naturally, I'm extremely worried. They gave me an appointment for a month later on 3/8/07. I called my physician and told her that I am worried about the results. She read the report while I was on the phone with her. She didn't give me specifics but said that I have "asymmetry" on the right and dense breast tissue. There are no suspicious areas and no masses detected. She said this is normal procedure since I've never had a mammo before and they are looking for a baseline. Does this sound right or should I be worried?
Your doctor is right AND they are right to do a little more testing.  It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about, especially since you say they didn't find a mass or suspicious calcifications.

Carol
He I am 33 ys old and had a first mammo done last week for a suspicious finding on sono.here what my mammo shows
In the upper inner quadrant of the mid-third of rt breast there is a noncircumscribed heterogenous non calcified area of asymmetric density abt 4-5 cms.no disticnt focal mass is seen within the density.no archtectural distortion in either breast. in the left breast there is tiny cluster of microcalcification which are not punctate and regarded as indeterminate. Birad 4
I have a biopsy sch in one months time. I am pretty scared abt it. no his of BC in family. Can somebody help me with their comments
Maybe you can post this above where the doctor will answer you. breastcaner.org is a good site for info. Also join the discussion board there.
I had my follow up mammo and sonogram on 3/8. After the spot compression, the asymmetry disappeared on the right breast.  Good News. However, on the left, in addition to a small cluster of microcalcifications, a "nodule" was spotted in a couple of the views, but not on the sonogram. The radiologist came in to speak with me. She said that while the nodule didn't appear cancerous, she suggested that I go for "breast specific gamma imaging". I had that done on Friday, March 16th. No malignancies were detected. The doctor told me that this test is 96% accurate and they feel confident that the "nodule" is a lymph node. She wants me to have a needle biopsy of the microcalcifications. My primary physican also referred me to a breast specialist. I went to see him yesterday. He agrees with the findings so far. He said I could either have the needle biopsy or have the microcalcifications surgically removed and biopsied. It is my choice. I am opting for the surgical removal. I'd rather have them removed totally now so I won't have to do it later.
I would say do this in one biopsy. Get it removed and then you will know exactly what you are dealing with. Thank you so much for coming back. I worry so much about some of the women here that don't come back. Do you know what kind of biopsy that are considering doing? Biopsies are not bad just make sure you discuss pains meds for the procedure afterwards is pretty much a piece of cake. Ice bags and tylenol. Please keep us posted. I wish you well.
I am scheduled for a Steriotatic biopsy. When I called the surgeon's office to say that I wanted to have it surgically removed, he said that I should have the needle biopsy. He and the radiologist feel that I am a "good candidate" for this type of biopsy. I'm going to have this done and take it from there. I did speak with the radiologist again yesterday and she keeps trying to reassure me that everything should be benign. She said after the biopsy, no matter what the outcome, I can still have the microcalcifications and the lymph node removed to ease my anxiety.
Sounds like a good plan. When is your biopsy?
It's scheduled for this Tuesday, 3/27.
We'll be thinking about you. I am sorry you are having to go through this. All will be well. Please let us know.
Well, when I had the biopsy on Tuesday, the doctor told me that the results should be in by today, Friday. I called my primary's office this morning to see if the results were in. The secretary said that they were but my doctor wouldn't be in until this afternoon. She called me back and the first question she asked was "did you talk to the breast surgeon". I said no, I was told to call my primary. She said "because he can give you the results as well". She said that everything "looks benign" but I should call the breast surgeon because that is his specialty. I didn't give the radiologist the breast surgeon's info because, I really didn't think of it. I saw him once for a 2nd opinion and I thought I should get the results from my primary. I then called the radiologist's office and asked if the radiologist could give me my results but the secretary said that "nobody" was available and that she could fax the report to the breast surgeon. She also said that the report was mailed to me and I should receive it soon. I then called the surgeon's office and was told that he wasn't in today. I told her that I really didn't want to wait over the weekend. Then she told me that he is on vacation next week. Do you believe this???? The radiologist that sent me for all these tests is on jury duty this week. I'm going to call her on Monday. Hopefully, she can explain the report to me.
I would have demanded an they give me results. They should not make you wait if they have them. How cruel.
I called the radiologist's office again this morning and demanded that someone talk to me about my results because I wasn't getting an answer from my primary. Finally, a radiologist came on the line and said that the findings were benign. I am so relieved!!!!

I can't tell you ladies how great it has been to be a part of this forum. My thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of you!

Diane
Great news Diane!