First lumpectomy, then infection, now inflammation
5 days after lumpectomy, my breast became infected and I was hospitalized for three days, given iv antibiotics (clindamycin) and dilaudid for pain.  Now, two weeks post hospitalization, my surgeon says the infection is gone but I have an inflammation, which could last months.  He says the breast looks as if it's been irradiated, but it hasn't.  Very sensitive to touch (I hate any clothing on it), colorful (reds and browns) and the area around the scar (the shape of a C around my nipple) is very dark (I am white).  He gave me no treatment other than Aquafore, a soothing gel for dry skin.  Can someone tell me if there is a treatment and if this will, indeed, go away.  

This discussion is related to Wound care after lumpectomy.
Inflammation can be caused by an infection and does usually subside when the cause is eliminated. Treatment when necessary can include NSAIDS and Corticosteriods. Hot and Cold therapy is often used to ease the discomfort. Perhaps a Specialist dealing in this type of issue may have additional help .... this is now more a Medical rather than Surgical problem.   Regards ....