Breast Cancer Community
Heart Problems and Chemo
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Heart Problems and Chemo

I had a mammogram last month. They found 2 clusters of microcalcifications. They wanted a magnified view and went for that. Now I have to have a biopsy on 9-18-08 to see if I have cancer or not. My question is this, I have had 2 heart attacks since April this year and I have coronary artery disease. If by some chance I do have cancer will I be able to do chemo? If not what will they have me do?
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
Hi.  If you do have cancer, there are still a lot of chemotherapy options for you even if you have heart disease.  One of the drugs frequently used for breast cancer - Doxorubicin - can aggravate an existing heart problem, but this drug can be replaced by similar drugs (e.g. Epirubicin) with less adverse effects on the heart.  Another option would be to use classes of drugs which are entirely different from Doxorubicin and which are relatively safe for the heart.  This includes the drugs vinorelbine, capecitabine, gemcitabine and the taxanes.  Still another option, particularly if the cancer is at an early stage, would be to use hormonal treatment alone instead of chemotherapy.
Blank
Many times these come back no cancer too.
Blank
Thanks I am hoping that it is not cancer. But I have to be realistic also. My mother had non hodgkins lymphoma and died, my sister just older than me had breast cancer and it spread to brain, bone, liver, stomach, and my oldest sister just had breast cancer and just finished her chemo a few months ago.
Blank
Then its really good that they found these microcrocalifications real early. Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank