Breast Cancer Community
Hip relacement after chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hip relacement after chemo

I had breast cancer and had a right mastectomy followed by 4 rounds of chemo every 2 weeks of Adromycin and Taxol, followed the next day by Neulasta.  Before my diagnosis, my left hip would bother me occasionally for a couple of days and then go away for months.  A bone scan, after my diagnosis, showed some osteoathritis of the left hip.  During chemotherapy, I noticed after the Neulasta shot each time, that my hip would really be extremely painful, and after the third round, the pain in my hip did not go away.  I finished chemo in December of 2009, and the pain never went away.  I saw an orthopaedist in the beginning of April, and he did an x-ray and the joint was completely bone on bone.  I had my hip replaced May 13, 2010.  My orthopaedist told me that the hip joint was a complete mess and he would expect to see that with someone who had been suffering for a couple of years or more with pain in the hip joint.  Is there a correlation with anything that I took for treatment and the degeneration of my hip joint?  I have heard other stories similar to mine.  
1 Comment
Answered by Private Message .....