Breast Cancer Community
I think I may have breast cancer. I want to get a mamogram(mammogram). ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I think I may have breast cancer. I want to get a mamogram(mammogram). Help?

Hello I am looking for a way to get a low cost Mammogram in Phoenix Arizona. I am 21 years old, I am a female and I have had a lump in my right breast for 4 years. I noticed it in 2008 it is located on side towards the middle of my chest. It was small and has slowly grown from a pea to a grape size and then began to sting a little. I was in HS and told my mom and we never got it checked out. In fact I have never had a mammogram. It's been awhile since HS and I have tried to go to a clinic before and it was always closed for holiday or some other reason. Now I live in Phoenix (moved from Seattle) and I want to get this checked out. The lump has gotten smaller over time now but my left breast is constantly aching on and off my period. The other breast is only sore on my p. Under my armpit on the side of the breast that has the lump it feels like someone is scraping their fingernails from my back under the armpit and to the nipple. I am looking for any help involving advice for where to get a mammogram. I have tried Planned parenthood and none of them are close to my house. I would also like advice if anyone has heard of similar symptoms. Thanks in Advance.
First of all I don't think you have breast cancer,since this lump in your breast has been there for so long.Cysts and Fibroadenomas ( both benign in nature) are very common that almost every woman of any age will have some during her lifetime.
These benign lumps are related to the increasing hormonal fluctuations which increase in size prior to the menstrual cycle and subside after the period is over.
Avoiding caffeine, (Coffee,chocolate and colas) salty food and fatty food can help with pain and even shrink the lumps
It is very wise of you to finally have this lump checked out.You really should have done that a long time ago,but it's better late than ever.
If you have limited  funds and have no insurance,please call the few places  I have added below,where you will certainly find assistance.

1)The American Cancer Society. toll-free: 1-800-ACS-2345

2)The United States Government’s National Cancer Institute can direct you to a local resource for free mammograms or ultrasound. Call them toll-free at 1-800-4-CANCER .

3)Susan G. Komen for the Cure provides information on free or low-cost mammograms and other sources of financial assistance. Call toll-free, 800-IM-AWARE

4)The American Breast Cancer Foundation’s Key to Life Breast Cancer Screening Assistance Program provides financial assistance to uninsured and under insured women and men of all ages for breast cancer testing. Call their toll-free enrollment hotline, 877-Key-2-Life (877-539-2543).

Finally, try calling your local hospital. Ask to speak to a social worker. He or she will be the one who’ll know about the availability of free or low-cost cancer screening in your community.

I really hope that this helps and that you'll soon find a doctor in your area. Whatever you do, please have this lump checked out to make sure that nothing is left to chance okay?.
Sending you my best wishes....
My breast are normally lumpy so it's pretty hard to know what's normal and what isn't. When I was 19 I lost about 10 lbs, enough to notice an obvious lump growing sideways out of my breast. Being so young means that breast cancer isn't probable, but it's a possibility so I got it checked out. They did an ultrasound, explaining that younger women have denser breasts so mammograms aren't clear or a good test to see lumps in most young women. My lump turned out to be nothing more then normal tissue growing sideways.

Based on my experience I think you shouldn't seek out a mammogram BUT I think you should talk to your dr about getting an ultrasound. Hopefully this will be a bit easier to do. This ultrasound will be able to show if this is normal tissue or not. If it looks even the slightest bit odd they may do a needle biopsy. This is will see if the lump is a cyst, a fluid filled sac (which many lumps are) or if it's something more serious. If this is a cyst and is causing a lot of problems, and considering it's grown large enough to be painful in 3 years, perhaps you should talk to your dr about getting it removed.

Sending you my best wishes....
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your advice
Thanks that helps out. I will try calling the numbers you provided. I appreciate your concern and advice. Thanks for your help