Breast Cancer Community
I was diognosed with breast cancer @ sternum cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

In June of 06 I had a lumpectomy followed by 8 chemo treatments and 38 radiation treatments.  In June of 07 cancer was discovered in my sternum.  I have mammograms, CT scans and Bone scans every three months.  I am currently on hormone therapy.  Within the last two months I have developed pain in my sternum which feels like someone has hit me with a baseball bat.  Sometimes I have sharp pain in both my right and left upper ribs.  My sternum is very sore to the touch.  I have had all kinds of heart workup and an ECD/ECG not sure what it was called.  I know it as a scope.  They could not find anything wrong with my heart and my esophagus was in great condition.  The CT scan was normal.  I am having a bone scan on Friday after Christmas. My question is, does this have to be the cancer or could there be a different explaination.  I work in the yard (for pleasure) and wonder if it could be a pulled muscle?  If anyone knows of a different cause for symptoms such as this please let me know and I will mention it to my oncologist.  Maybe I am grasping at straws and may be in denial, but I am hoping for something which can be cured without radiation or chemo.  

Thanks,

Worried girl

This discussion is related to Constant pain in Sternum - following Breast CA in 2002.
So you had no other than hormonal treatment after the cancer in your sternum was discovered? And before this showed up, you had both chemo, radiation and lumpectomy, right? What were you told by your doctor and his confidence that hormonal therapy would keep the cancer in check? did it initially get better, the cancer in your sternum?

Right away, let me tell you that I cannot give you medical advice, just because I am not sure about your case and situation. (I would do so if I knew) It does sound very scary, and I would be nervous too.

Did the pain come on suddenly, or did it sort of start slowly and then get worse? Is it there all the time or only sometimes? i think these are all important questions you will be asked.

I was told that with bone cancer, it sometimes is not very painful at first but most patients complain of pain. Also, that the pain is usually steady, and all the time and then gets worse. it's not a come and go thing.

I am sorry you have to sit on this over Christmas. maybe you can call your doctor, or speak with his nurse, tomorrow?

I really wish you the best, and please ley us know what happens. truly, Kat
For some reason the previous poster has assumed that you have bone cancer involving the sternum. From yourinitial post it seems that none of your recent tests to investigate this sternal pain indicate cancer. Since the tests so far are neg. it could very well be something else. Often there is some type of injury that you may not even recall (as you mentioned) that can be the cause of this type of pain. The cartilage between the ribs and the sternum often can be affected in some way; another possibility for the pain you are experiencing. Your upoming bone scan may well answer your question and it will also show these other possibilities I mentioned above. Your treatment following your bc diagnosis in 2006 seemed "right on" and nothing was left to chance. The investigative tests recently certainly indicate that you are receiving excellent medical care. Keep up posted when you get your bone scan results. Kindest regards .......
I assumed that 'worried' had sternum cancer as from the title of the post. I also told her I did not know anything and tried to clarify and asked questions. I hope worried understands that I was neither trying to diagnose nor treat her....just empathy expressed. kat