Breast Cancer Community
Inconclusive biopsy results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Inconclusive biopsy results

Hi,
My 25 year old daughter found a lump on her breast. The doctor did an ultra sound and a biopsy. My daughter said the doctor told her it was a fibroid and that it was solid with no fluid in it. He said he was able to get 60% of the tumor. 3 days later her tests came back inconclusive and now she has to meet with a surgeon to schedule a lumpectomy. I thought fibroids were always benign.
I want to make sure the surgery is necessary. Does anyone have any opinions on this to help me out. Or at least some questions to ask at the consult.
Thank you

This discussion is related to Should I have a core needle biposy or not?.
1 Comment
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
I'm not sure how 60% of a tumor could be removed via biopsy unless it was an excisional biopsy and I would think that from your description this biopsy was not. If this actually were the case this tumor must have been very, very small. Anytime a biopsy comes back "inconclusive" then either another type of biopsy should be done or the area in question completely removed surgically. Fibroadenomas are considered benign breast tumors and are usually left alone unless they cause considerable discomfort or become quite large. Often these benign tumors will continue to occur as Fibrocystic Breast Condition does affect nearly half of all women and can even begin in the teen years. I'm sure the Surgeon will be able to clear things up regarding this finding. The surgery shouldn't be anything to be concerned about and an excisional biopsy or complete removal would be essentially the same procedure. I suppose you could request that the specimen obtained from the initial biopsy be tested by another Lab and you might ask the Surgeon if he/she feels this would be appropriate in your Daughter's case. Please keep us posted regarding her progress after you see the Surgeon.  Kindest regards to you both.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank