Breast Cancer Community
Lumps in breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lumps in breast

Hi I am a 29yr old girl. I have had a lump in my breast for about a month which has not been that painful, but over the past day or so I have another lump appear next to it and is very sore. It has been too sore when I lie in bed when the mattress presses into it and I am now considering seeing a doctor about this.

I have had a past history of blocked milk ducts through a mammogram and biopsy but these tend to occur around about my period. To have a persistent lump even outside of my menstrual cycle and for a much sorer one to develop is worrying. Is it worth seeing a doctor? I am worried about making a fuss.

Thanks :)
Your Dr. is doing the absolute correct thing with the referral to the Breast Clinic. No matter what previous lumps have proven to be, each and every one should be investigated to the max. Sounds like you're on the right track. We here are always anxious to hear the end result so please return when you get some answers. It also helps others who come here to merely read and learn. thanks and Best Wishes for a benign outcome.
Anything new or even just different concerning your breasts definitely is well worth seeing a Dr. about. Sounds a lot like either cysts or Fibroadenomas .. both benign breast issues but please CHECK IT OUT !! Don't ever be worried about "making a fuss" when it comes to breast issues, OK ?? Both the above mentioned problems can cause considerable discomfort. Make that appointment ....  Regards.
Hi thanks for reply.

I've looked more at my breasts in the mirror - the right one is lower than the left and is more swollen. The aerola is also bigger than before. No nipple puckering or inversion. The lump is towards the underside of the breast and is firm and immovable.
I also have pain in my shoulder blade now and also in my neck. I will try and schedule a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and see what happens....

:)
Anything in the breast tissue that isn't normal would cause some distortion in the remaining tissue and/or skin. Don't over stress yourself though until you do see the Dr. for a clinical exam and whatever testing he/she feels appropriate for the problem. At your age an Ultrasound might well be the first choice for testing. Please comment on this same post when you find out some results. We'll be waiting to hear the outcome.  Take care ....
Thanks for your reply.

I saw the doctor today. She has said that the lump is movable and more than likely is harmless. She has referred me to the breast clinic to be 100% sure.

I've had lumps in my breast before that have turned out to be blocked milk ducts and that was 9 years ago, but I'm surprised that this one is causing me so many problems, especially since I have had this particular lump for over a month and has persisted through 2 menstrual cycles!