Breast Cancer Community
Missing clip-Lumpectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Missing clip-Lumpectomy

I am in the very strange situation. I had stereotactic biopsy on Sep. 15th which later diagnosed DCIS. The doctor inserted one clip in the area. On the lumpectomy surgery day, Oct. 24th, I had wire localization which targeted the clip using mammogram. The post surgery biopsy report found 3mm DCIS with all clear margins, and off course wire, but not a clip which should be in that location. Then, I was sent for post lumpectomy mammogram today, Nov. 24th before starting radiation therapy. The radiologist couldn't find a clip (except metal staples from lumpectomy surgery) in anywhere in my breast, by any angled films. It means that the clip is now missing completely, from the tissue pathologist looked or in my breast. He couldn't explain much about this strange CSI thingy (not trace-able), but he said that the clip as well as effected tissue (with clear margins) has been taken out.
Has anyone heard this kind of story? I read some studies that the clips sometimes migrate in few days, few weeks to one year. But my radiologist says it won't happen often in a last couple of years. Shall I be worried or get move on to radiation therapy?
So they didn't locate the chip on mammogram. It is true that they have been known to migrate but since the wire was placed according to the location f the chip then it was there for reference before surgery.
You know these chips are injected thru a needle and are very tiny .. it may well have been removed and discarded somewhere between surgery and pathology. I don't think I'd be worried about it and I would certainly proceed with the recommended treatment as soon as proper healing has taken place.   Regards ....
I too have "lost" a clip.  I had 3 placed this summer during biopsies, but the one that was marking the DCIS disappeared.  I've had 2 (small) excisional surgeries, (including wire local.), but somehow that clip seems to be gone.  It was unfortunate, because a second surgery was needed to fine the "right spot".  However, I've now finished the 5 days of Partial Breast Radiation, and I'm forgetting about the clip, I guess.  It must have been removed in error somewhere along the way!

Good luck to you.
Thank you for your comments. Finally, I talked to my surgeon. She was aware of the missing clip in lumpectomy specimen. But she was very confident that she took out all suspicious tissues so she didn't want to make me worried about it. Also, post lumpectomy biopsy report proved that the previous biopsy site with residual in lumpectomy specimen. She said it was more important than finding a clip. The clip has been disappeared from my breast and nobody can't tell where it went or being bothered to track it down. It probably moved and messed up during surgery. My 5-week radiation will start from Dec 15th. That is the earliest they could fit me in.