Breast Cancer Community
NIPPLE RETRACTION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

NIPPLE RETRACTION

I recently noticed that my left nipple is inverted upon experiencing breast pain before my monthly period.     Aside from this I'm experiencing pain under my armpit and at my back(left).    I went to see a doctor and I was diagnosed to have a muscle strain.  It's been going on for two weeks and I sometimes feel tigheting all over my chest and breast...it seems like my bones are all aching all over.  It's not severe but I can't get it out of my head.  I wonder what are the things to check...my doctor make a physical breast examination and told me that she doesn't find any lumps or cysts.

If I don't have lumps, does it mean I don't have to worry about my retracted nipples?  Is it normal?  Thanks...
1 Comment
Hi there.

I understand your concern.  Nipple retraction can be a normal occurrence as a sign of connective tissue aging.  The symptoms you are describing seems really like a musculoskeletal strain that is usually induced by fatigue and stress.  The normal breast physical examination of your doctor is reassuring, however, you may want to discuss with him regarding additional tests like mammography to really be certain that there is nothing pathologic.  For now, I suggest you avoid stress as much as possible especially overusing that part of the chest and arm.

Regards and God bless