Breast Cancer Community
Nerve damage following stereotactic core biopsy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nerve damage following stereotactic core biopsy

I had a 2 x core biopsies approximately 6 weeks ago. Now I have an intense burning pain at the biopsy site, especially on stretching the arm back.  This pain is not like any pain I've ever had before and is certainly not a muscular strain type of pain. I assume this is something to do with nerve damage (more likely) or reaction to titanium clip (less likely). It appears others on this site are experiencing similar types of pain. Does anyone know how long this kind of pain lasts? It is extremely painful and unpleasant.

This discussion is related to Nerve Damage Redux.
2 Comments
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi,
After the incision site heals,it's not unusual to experience occasional sharp shooting pains in the breast.Many women complain about this kind of pain after a biopsy,because ( as you correctly stated) during the procedure some nerves are disturbed or severed.It's hard to predict how long the pain will last... When it's due to nerve damage, it can take several weeks and sometimes even months for the pain to subside, but it should slowly improve along that time line.To help in the healing process,you could apply warm compresses, gently massage your breast, wear a good supportive bra and try not to lift heavy things.Over the counter medication such as Acetaminophen or ibuprofen usually can address the pain related to this type of nerve injury.
If you notice that your breast is increasingly painful or the incision site is swollen,red and you develop a fever,I would advise you to contact your surgeon for a breast exam to make sure that you don't have an infection.
Hoping that you'll feel much better soon.
Best wishes..
Blank
Hi.
Thank you for your comments. I did use ibuprofen, and more time has passed, and while I still feel a slight burning sensation if I move my arm in a certain way, the pain has lessened a lot.
It was worrying as I'd never experienced anything like this before, but thankfully this is settling.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank