Breast Cancer Community
New Cancer treatments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

New Cancer treatments

I was diagnosed with DCIS with micro-invasion Dec. 17th and went though every test know to man to see if it was anywhere else.  I just had surgery and the calcifications were taken out with clean margins.  Also, the lymph nodes were cleaned and the new pathology report stated that there was no invasion in the cancer they took out during the surgery.  My question is what alternative is there to radiation therapy?  It scares me to death that the radiation is going to go through my muscle and into the top portion of my lung.  I have read about photon therapy and nanotechnology and wondering how far out these treatments (or if they are even applicable) are from FDA approval?  Also, what is Mammosite and Radiation seeding?  Could these treatments save me from going through the traditional radiation therapy?  What are my chances if I waited 2 years to have such treatments.  I am wondering if it would be worth it not to put myself at risk for a future lung cancer episode.
1 Comment
These are questions that you need to put to your Radiation Oncologist .... each type of therapy is for certain circumstances and cannot always be used to the pt.s best advantage.It would take someone with your complete medical history to determine which type would give you the best chance against a recurrance.  I certainly WOULD NOT even think about waiting for treatment .... this would be the same as refusing treatment completely. You must realize that there is always the possibility of a recurrance or metastisis and the lungs would be a site for mets with or without treatment. I would advise you NOT to wait at all unless you decide to refuse treatment.    Regards ....