Breast Cancer Community
New lump after mastectomy and chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

New lump after mastectomy and chemo

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 right breast cancer (E-/P-/Her 2+)  and sentinel node negative in 2006.  I had a mastectomy followed by 5 months of chemo and 1 hear of Herceptin.  I finished Herceptin in Dec 2007.  I have also had reconstructive surgery (tissue expander then implant).  I had the implant removed and replaced as I was not symmetrical.  This was done in April 2008 (The first reconstructive surgeries were June and August 2007)  The plastic surgeon that did the April 2008 surgery told me that I had a lot of scar tissue that she had to take out when exchanging the implant and told me to massage the breast to avoid it in future.

I have noticed a new lump on the same side of the mastectomy (in 11:00 position).  It is a little sensative and at times it feels as if it is connected to the implant because I feel a tightening. Sometimes I can't raise my arm because if feels sensitive. I had an ultra sound yesterday and the technician described the lump as a "nodule" and suggested a biopsy.  I completely fell apart.  Could this be scar tissue or the scary "c" word.  Have people had new lumps on the same side as the mastectomy and after a whole year of treatment?  I am scheduled for a biopsy next week.

1 Comment
Hi.
The lump you are palpating on the previous mastectomy site could be a scar tissue or a breast cancer recurrence.  Based on the data you mentioned and your clinical profile, there may be a risk of having a recurrence.  I agree with the plan of doing a biopsy to be more certain of the cause.  Hopefully the biopsy turns out to be scar tissue or other benign pathology.
Take care.