Oval mass, partially obscured
Just got a call from the imaging center that my mammogram showed an oval mass in the lower left breast, middle depth, partially obscured.  I am a 46 y/o female, this was my annual mammogram.  They indicated this is new from my mammo last year.  I'm a bit frightened...no history of breast cancer in the family.  I'd like some advise or intrepretation of this result.  I have a diagnositic mammo scheduled.
A lump in the breast could be many things and I am afraid that it's impossible to know what this lump may represent before more tests are done.This is the reason why you are having a diagnostic (spot compression) mammogram which will focus on this particular abnormality.
Many lumps in the breast are found to be benign in nature,so I wouldn't worry too much for now.This could be a Fibroadenoma, a cyst or other benign finding.The spot compression Mammogram will clarify the image and the radiologist will tell you on that same day,what the problem could be,if any.
Please let us know how things are proceeding
Best wishes and good luck.